- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Tokyo Restaurant Reviews
Though Tokyoites still stubbornly resist foreign concepts in many fields, the locals have embraced outside culinary styles with gusto. While newer restaurants targeting younger diners strive for authenticity in everything from New York-style bagels to Neapolitan pizza, it is still not uncommon to see menus offering East-meets-West concoctions such as spaghetti topped with cod roe and shredded seaweed. That said, the city's best French and Italian establishments can hold their own on a global scale, with high prices to match. There is also excellent Japanese food available throughout the city, ranging from the traditional to nouveau cuisine that can be shockingly expensive.
That is not to imply that every meal in the city will drain your finances—the current rage is all about "B-class gourmet," restaurants that fill the gap between nationwide chains and fine cuisine, offering tasty Japanese and Asian food without the extra frills of tablecloths and lacquerware. All department stores and most skyscrapers have at least one floor of restaurants which, while not amazing, are accessible and affordable.
Asakusa is known for its tempura, and Tsukiji prides itself on its fresh sashimi, which is available in excellent quality throughout the city. Ramen is a passion for many locals, who will travel across town or stand in line for an hour in order to sit at the counter of a shop rumored to offer the perfect balance of noodles and broth. There have been good and affordable Indian and Chinese restaurants in the city for decades. As a result of increased travel by the Japanese to more exotic locations, Thai, Vietnamese, and Turkish restaurants have popped up around the city. When in doubt, note that Tokyo's top-rated international hotels also have some of the city's best places to eat and drink.
Browse Tokyo Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $235 & up -- Japan: Luxury Hotels, Save 50% Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 — $36 Featured Destination: Japan