Search

Pisa, skip or see it

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pisa, skip or see it

Hi Everyone,

I'll be driving from FLR to San Gim where we will spend two nights. I will conclude my trip with a 3 night stay in S. Tuscany. Should I try to see Pisa before arriving in San Gim, or should I skip it?

Just curious what your take is on Pisa.

Thanks in advance,
Natalie
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:54 AM

It was kind of neat to see it. I have seen so many pictures for so many years, and to see it "in the flesh" so to speak, was fun. When I was there you couldn't go up in it but you can now, so that might be fun. If it takes you way out of your way or makes a very tiring day for you, then I'd say, for me, it wouldn't be a MUST see, but if convenient, why not.
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Ni Nat,

The Tower was beautiful, seemed taller than expected. I was very surprised and impressed with the duomo. Very beuatiful! If you feel you have time, you could spend a couple hours.

Buon viaggio!
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:03 AM

The first time I went I remember thinking (on the way there), "How great can it really be? I've seen pictures of it for years. Can it really be that impressive?"

Yes, it was and is IMO and certainly memorable.

A lot of people think it is too "touristy" so they end up fighting the crowds in other places instead.

Go for it,
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:05 AM

I agree with what's already been said. I was expecting not to get much out of our day there, and instead found it quite enjoyable to see the Tower up close.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM

The most disappointing thing to see in our many trips to Italy. Just buy a postcard somewhere else and save yourself a trip out of the way. TOOOO tacky.

Old May 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of those places that sharply divide people. People flock to see the tower, but I feel that the entire Campo dei Miracoli is a spectacular site and would definitely be worth a trip even if the tower was straight. The tacky sovenier stores do rather spoil it.

Compared to Florence, Pisa may seem a little run down, but it is a very vibrant city with a large student population.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:17 AM

I find FLJudi's suggestion to just buy a postcard interesting.

My question is, what do you <b>write</b> on that postcard when you send it?

Something like, &quot;We didn't see this but thought it was wonderful anyway&quot; or what?
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Hi Natalie, I really liked Pisa. The church and baptistry are also beautiful. The church is where Galileo came up with the theory for the pendulum, (while watching a chandelier move with the wind--he timed it by using his pulse as a measure) There is also an interesting burial spot there. I didn't think it was too touristy. There is a row of stalls right next to it--but so what--even Notre Dame has a gift shop inside! Very easy to avoid, if that sort of thing bothers you. I was only there for a few hours, but would have liked to stay just a little longer. Whatever you decide have a wonderful trip! pp
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Pisa is fun, certainly a must if you have kids with you. Make a reservation in advance if you want to climb it. youtube.com has a few videos of the climb. Also visit the walled cemetery there. Not many tourists know what that very large &quot;building&quot; really is.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:52 AM

What time of a year are you going? What is your tolerance for crowds? How much are you interested in architecture?

To me, the monuments of Pisa are one of the great sights of Tuscany. Incomparably beautiful architecture. But if you are more interested in painting, or simply the fun of Italian life, finding yourself in a mob of tourists (the monuments are ringed by some of the tackiest tourist shops you will ever encounter) on a hot day can just be irritating.

Are you simply flying into the airport at Firenze and heading to San Gimignano, or spending some time in Firenze? If it's the former, try flying into Pisa airport. If it's the latter, consider the possibility of taking the train to Pisa to see the sights and have lunch, then returning to Firenze to pick up your car (or picking up your car in Pisa) and then heading to San Gimignano). Have lunch in either Pisa or Firenze. That way, you won't arrive in San Gimignano until much later in the day, which is best anyway, since then it is far less crowded and you'll enjoy it more.

Old May 7th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I visited Pisa on a whim on my third trip to Italy and was completely surprised by how much I enjoyed it and appreciated the architecture. I actually gasped when I rounded a corner on to a street and there the tower was, in all it's leaning glory, ahead of me. It is definitely something to behold. All of the buildings are much whiter than I imagined (blindingly so in the May sunshine) and as many have said, the Duomo is beautiful and quite interesting.

I simply ignored all the junk stalls around the campo, it's easy enough to do.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:01 AM

I think Pisa is a must-see...just ignore the tacky souvenir stalls. I also visited the Baptistery and climbed up its 147 steps for the views of the area, as well as the Duomo with its gilded ceiling.

Monica

Old May 7th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

I'm in Italy 10 nights, 3 Venice, 2 Lake Garda, training to FLR, renting a car, driving to Pisa (possibly) then heading to Volterra and San G. where my hotel is. I know this may be a lot in one day. The train is about 3 hours and I'm looking at 3 hours of driving in a car.

What do you think?
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM

If I am understanding correctly, you are only picking up your rental in Florence and zooming out to Pisa?

No offense, but this is like passing on a 5 course meal at Taillevent to save room for a Big Mac. And driving miles out of your way to do so. Pisa is fine, but compared to Florence there is no comparison.

I'd spend the day in Florence and go directly to San Gimignano. Volterra can easily be seen as a day trip from San G. San G. itself requires no more than a few hours.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Between traffic, looking for parking and taking winding roads, you are going to be in a car a LOT longer than 3 hours.

Have you driven in Italy before? Are you driving alone? If you don't have a friend to help you with the navigation, you are going to find yourself going slowly and even getting lost quite a bit.

Driving in or out of Firenze is a pain. It is ringed with a confusing density of urban sprawl. (Sort of like driving through the Bronx or Queens if you know New York.) Finding parking in Pisa can be time consuming.

I've never driven to Volterra, but the reason people go is because its dramatic, remote position on the top of a mountain -- which means lots of winding switchback roads. I have no idea what parking is like up there.

I have driven to San Gimignano, and its a slow climb up a very winding road. Parking is relatively easy, so there is not a problem about arriving just after dark (although I wouldn't want to drive up there in the dark unless you are experienced in Italian driving).

A better plan would be to take the train to Pisa, see the monuments, drive to Volterra in time to see the sunset. Get up early and to go to San Gimignano, or else do a San Gimignano as a day trip from Volterra if you'd rather not unpack every night.

Have a nice trip!

Old May 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM

PS: Ripit's suggestion of doing Volterra as a day trip from San Gimignano is a good idea because San Gimignano is mobbed during the day.

Personally, I'd find it very frustrating to be in Firenze for only a couple of hours -- sort of like rushing through a 15 course meal in 45 minutes! So I'd rather enjoy the compactness of Pisa and save Firenze for when I'm not just passing through.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM

I agree with ripit.

Pisa is a fun place, but no comparison with Florence which is truly amazing.