Thank You NYC! Our trip report 8/14-8/18

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was our third time to NYC and let me begin by saying that it just gets better every time! We had planned to go to London this summer, but due to lack of funds, decided to return to NYC instead. We had an absolute blast. It was just my two children (ages 15 and 10) and I. We have never traveled without my husband and I must admit I was a bit anxious, but with the help of advice from this forum, we did it! Here are the highlights:

Sunday: Arrived at The Lucerne Hotel later than expected- an hour delay at LGA due to bad weather. Had 6:30 reservations at Serendipity 3, which we made (barely). I had thought this would be a neat way to start the trip as I had read about this restaurant, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go back. It was hot inside and very crowded. The food was OK, but the ice cream was delicious. When we left there was a monsoon going on! We got soaked and took a cab back to the hotel. I had planned on doing more that night, but the rain was just too heavy. The kids were pretty bushed, also, so we hit the sack early.

Monday: Got up early and went to Zabar's for breakfast. Delicious! Then we took the subway down to Greenwich Village and walked around. It was early, so not a lot open. We walked through Washington Square Park, and then onto SOHO. Tried to go to the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art for my son. We hadn't seen Grand Central Station on prior trips, so we headed there. What an interesting place. We had pizza from Two Boots there. Cheap and good! We then headed down to the Empire State Building. We had ordered tickets online, thinking it would save us time, but still it took about an hour in line to go up. We had an overcast day, but still were able to see quite a bit. We went at night before, which I think I prefer. We then headed back uptown and walked around the UWS. I love this part of Manhattan! We had dinner at EJ's Luncheonette on Broadway. It was delicious and very reasonably priced.

Tuesday: Thanks to all of the advice from this board, we got up early and took the 1 train (be on one of the first five cars) down to South Ferry to go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. We had ordered tickets online- do this it does save you a lot of time. We got there right at 8:00 and there was a short line for those who had reserved tickets. We got right in though. Several people who had come earlier in the week at later times, said they had to return because they could not get a ferry. Go early! We did not choose to go up in the Statue. We got so close though and got great pictures. Ellis Island was one of the highlights of the trip. We got the audio tour, which was so informative. The kids were amazed by all of the history. We looked up my great grandfather's name and saw when he had come to America. It was so cool to think that he and my great grandmother walked through the same places we did.

We went back to lower Manhattan around lunch time. I had thought we may try to get tickets at the Public Theatre on Astor Place to Two Gentlemen of Verona. We go there at about 12:15 and there was quite a line. It also was beginning to rain and we were hungry. Not knowing if it would continue to rain that night (and cancel the show), I decided to go instead to the TKTS booth at the Southstreet Seaport and take a chance on getting tickets to a show. We lucked out and got orchestra seats to Hairspray! for half price. We ate at Wendy's and then went to the WTC site. I wanted the kids to be still for a bit and reflect on what transpired beyond those fences. Still gives me chills.

We went back uptown and took naps to get ready for the show. Went to Corsi on Broadway and 50th? for dinner. Great place for good food at inexpensive prices.

Saw Hairspray! Wow! We loved it. The kids were mesmerized and the cast put on a fantastic show. They received a standing ovation. Afterward, we headed out to get a little snack and upon walking back past the theatre, my daughter saw a line outside. After I told her that people were standing at the stage door for autographs, of course she had to do it. We waited and got several cast members to take pictures with she and my son. They thought this was so neat.

Wednesday: We went to MoMA in the morning. The Cezanne and Pisarro exhibit was spectacular. My artsy son and I loved it. Seeing Van Gogh, Picasso....we just don't get the opportunity to see art like that. It was very special for us to be able to do so.

It was a lovely day, so we ate sandwiches from a deli while sitting on 51st street. So fun to just people watch. We then headed to the American Girl Store and meandered around 5th Avenue. We wanted to see more of Greenwich Village- I love this area, too. Had ice cream sodas while eating outside at Cafe Dante on Macdougal. I could have sat there all day! What a quaint street and cafe. Headed back to the hotel to take a short nap.

Had dinner reservations for Joe Allen. Again I had read it was a good pre-theatre place to eat, but we were underwhelmed. I think it is a bit overpriced actually and not as child friendly with menu choices. I wouldn't return.

My husband had purchased tickets for Wicked several months ago for my birthday present. We got to the Gershwin Theatre early. Huge place- much larger than the Neil Simon Theatre. The show was sold out. Our seats were in the "Mid Mezz" section, but we were about 6 rows from the top. Big difference from the ORCH seats we had for Hairspray. On the one hand I didn't want him paying $300 for better tickets, yet I think after sitting closer the night before, we were spoiled by it.

I can't put into words how magnificent this show is. If you have to put a second mortgage on your home to go, you should. We will never forget it. I was shaking my head at the performances- the range on the voices of those actors is enough to give you goose bumps. The story was compelling, funny, and interesting all the way through. My kids couldn't talk about it enough afterward; in fact my son was talking to everyone around him afterward about it! Going down the escalator, on the sidewalks outside, in the subway going home! What an experience to treasure.

Thursday: Our last day. We slept in a bit this morning. Oh, I forgot to mention. We ate breakfasts in the room to cut costs. The Lucerne offers guests a free mini fridge, so we bought cereal, etc. It worked well for us.

We went to Central Park for most of the morning. What a retreat! We had a ball. Threw the frisbee, walked around a lot. I saw the funniest thing (not to offend anyone who does this, but I had never seen anythong like it before): A group of 10 strollers, babes inside, moms walking behind, and one personal fitness trainer, complete with a personal microphone system. "Right hand off handle, reach two o'clock, bend right. Right hand on handle, left hand off...." Synchonizied stroller aerobics! What a hoot!

We headed uptown to Columbia University. My high school aged S wanted to check it out. Beautiful school. The Library itself is a work of art. Then we headed back down to Times Square area for souvenirs. Went back to EJ's Luncheonette and ate outside for lunch. Really like this place, especially for kids.

Finally we went to Filene's basement- great bargain on jeans for the kids. Back to the hotel to catch our taxi to the airport.

In all it was one of the, if not the best trip we have ever had. In closing I want to share something my son said to me while we were there that really says so much about what he perceived about his experience. During the middle of the trip one night he said, "Mom, have you noticed that everyone here all looks different?" and then he continued, "but they are all so nice". What a lesson for him to learn. Thanks to all of the New Yorkers on this forum and all of you who have helped share your experiences from your past trips. Our trip was eventful due to your tremendous suggestions and uneventful due in part to your great advice. I can't thank you enough.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:28 AM

Great report! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. We were at the Lucerne two weeks before you -- isn't that location wonderful?

Your children sound like great travellers. I'm sure they'll never forget this wonderful trip.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

KathrynT,
Yes, The Lucerne was a great find! So convenient to everything by subway. I really liked the size of it and the staff was very accommodating. We requested a corner room and got one on the top floor- room 1223. It was huge and had two big windows from which we could see the Hudson and the surroundings. The kids would perch themselves on these wide windowsills and eat their breakfasts looking out every morning! We stayed at The Muse and 60 Thompson the last two times. While they are both more expensive and considered to be more "posh", we will go back to The Lucerne the next time. It ranked right up there with them and to us was more comfortable for a family.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Glad you enjoyed the trip. After my daughter's first trip to NYC as a HS junior (I brought her on an business trip which we extended over a weekend) she decided she was going to live and work in NYC after graduation from college.

Her friends back home would tease her, but by golly if she didn't just do it! It is a fantastic, diverse and exciting city. The energy is just different there from anyplace else in the US.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Great report--thanks!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:30 AM

My DH asnd I went to NYC in June and have to agree with your son. We met ONLY nice and helpful people, which surprised me.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:13 AM

What a great trip! I've been a Cafe Dante fan for many, many years.