Search

wailea or kanapali?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wailea or kanapali?

My husband and I intend to spend 10 days in Maui next vacation. Which is the best beach for snorkeling, swimming, etc? Is Kanapali too crowded? Is Wailea too distant from Lahaina? Any comments will be helpful. THANKS.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:40 AM

Wailea is about a 40 minute drive from Lahaina whereas Kaanapali is right up the road. My husband and I stayed in Wailea and loved it. We drove to Lahaina/Kaanapali for a few nights out and while it was a bit of a drive we much preferred Wailea's atmosphere. It is made up of many smaller, more intimate beaches whereas Kaanapali is a big stretch of sand. It also didn't feel as secluded- more children. We didn't have a lot of money to spend and wanted to spend our days snorkeling. Our best times in Maui were driving down the coast of South Maui and stopping to snorkel at all the beaches, including a black sand beach. We saw many turtles and coral along several of the beaches. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you want more action then stay in Kaanapali as the drive will get annoying from Wailea. But we loved Wailea as our primary interests were in snorkeling and relaxing.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:53 AM

I agree with dreamathers. Wailea is much more low key than Kaanapali. Yes, it's about a 40 min drive between them. Lahaina/Kaanapali was really crowded, and had more of a Ft Lauderdale feel to us--lots of tacky shops, tshirts, and kids running everywhere. Wailea is much quieter and classier, and feels more "tropical" to me. We found the beaches MUCH less crowded in Wailea, and there seems to be a lot more great snorkeling spots there, which is why we stayed down there. I have a lot of info about this kind of stuff, beaches, snorkeling, etc, in my trip report titled "Maui trip report--action packed with details", just click on my name and look for it if you're interested.

love
roxy
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:32 PM
mrt

Kanapali!

Wailea is far from Lahaina.

Unless you are planning to stay at a mega hotel and not leave the grounds, Kanapali offers much, much more for the average tourist.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:49 PM

I wouldn't base a decision on its proximity to Lahaina. As Roxy suggets, it's not all that. Worth an afternoon, but not a life-altering destination of itself, unless your life revolves around tatoos or t-shirts.
Wailea has lower rise, world class hotels on small, crescent shaped beaches, toney restaurants and shops and dry weather. Ka'anapali has high rise hotels and condos on a long stretch of beach that disappears in places at times. More nightlife than Wailea. Much more congested, and, while nice, not as upscale as Wailea. Both have great views of neighbor islands. Wailea is closer to main airport, Haleakala and Hana. Ka'anapali, to Lahaina and Kapalua. Wailea is close to many good snorkeling locales. Kaanapali, fewer, but good ones such as Black Rock and Kapalua Bay.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:34 PM

This has been debated endlessly on this site and you will probably find a 50/50 split on preference. It comes down to deciding what type of atmosphere you want to be around in for your vacation ... The above posters give good descriptions and what will be the best place for you to stay depends on what YOU like to be around ... More action or more quiet? One long beach with the hotels lined up on it near the main town, or the smaller cove-like beaches ... Pick the one that sounds more like the type of place you like to go or have enjoyed on past vacations and have a great time! If you really can't decide, then since you're going for 10 days, split the time between the two ... Then post a trip report and let us know what you thought.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:49 PM

If you're going to spend 10 days in Maui, why choose between the two? Stay at both! Then report back to us which one you preferred and why!

You're bound to get as many answers for "best" beach for snorkeling, swimming, etc. as there are posters. I visited most of them--Honolua Bay, Kaanapali (Black Sand), Makena, Wailea, Polo, Slaughterhouse, Kapalua, Napili, Ulua, Ahihi, etc. and I'm also exlcuding the pristine ones on the north side. Enjoyed them all!!! Pick the "best"...good luck!!!

Is Kaanapali too crowded? No in my opinion, but others may scream back yes. The pleasant walkway and Whaler's Village seems a bit more touristed around sunset. The only time I noticed crowds was when people were gathering for a luau.

Is Wailea too distant from Lahaina? Only when there's road constr or there's been an accident causing frustrating traffic (which seems to be the norm nowadays). Otherwise, it's a pleasant, scenic drive. If you can't settle into "island time," then yes the distance may seem too great for you.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 02:47 PM

really depends on what you want. We've been to both many times. I personally enjoy the walk along Kaanapali Beach, although now there seems to be a lot of erosion of Kaanapali south of the Westin. Not sure what's happening there. But you still have a lot of beach to walk. Wailea has smaller "cresent" type beaches. Very beautiful, but no real "stretch" to ramble on.

We've been to Wailea 3x now and found it to be very cloudy. I doubt it is just bad luck 3x in a row, but it is decidedly cloudy for much of the day, sometimes from 1030am to 2pm. We were in Kaanapali 4x now and very few clouds. So if you want sun, Kaanapali is your spot!

If you want to be in the hub stay in Kaanapali. Lots of people mingling around Whaler's Village and the restaurants there at nite, along with tons of guests always up and down the beach walk between all the resorts and condos. Plus you can easily go to Lahaina. It is a good 45-50 minute drive between Wailea and Lahaina. Wailea pretty much rolls up the sidewalks around 9pm.

Snorkeling off of the beaches is better in Wailea. Black Rock was pretty mirky this past week, but we did see some turtles and a ray. Wailea has to win the snorkeling category though.

You can find a Sansei restaurant and a Roy's, in both Kihei, near Wailea and in Kapalua, near Kaanapali. Both area's have a Longi's and a CheeseBurger in Paradise too. You'll need a vehicle (cab or car) to get to either from the resorts. Both have very upscale restaurants, although most are in Kapalua rather than Kaanapali. In Wailea, I'd give the nod to Ferraro's and Nick's. Not to many moderate restaurants in Wailea--the area just doesn't seem to lend itself to it.

You can't go wrong in either area, but everyone has something they are looking for so you obviously have the final decision.

Good luck and enjoy<g>.

Frank
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

THanks everybody! I'll post my trip as soon as we get back! Thanks again!!!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 05:28 PM

How about Kapalua? Much closer to Lahaina than Wailea, but very quiet and elegant.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:54 PM

Wailea has several stretches to "ramble on", including that enormous beach path!

love
roxy