Hi all. I have been reading all the great posts about Yellowstone and GTNP for days and still have some questions. We have planned a last minute trip out west from NY with our two boys, ages 9 and 12 for the last week of August. So far, I just have flights. We are not an outdoorsy family and usually take beach vacations but my husband and I really want to visit our national parks and have the boys experience nature in all of its glory. That being said, we want to take baby steps and keep the whining to a minimum and so mix the parks with some things we know they like- like pools and comfy beds! We have a total of ten days (not including travel days) and are flying into and out of Jackson. Based on friends' recommendations we will be staying at a Teton Village hotel for the bulk of the trip but want to spend at least 3 days in Yellowstone. All of the in park hotels are sold out (but I'm wary anyway given how rustic they seem) and so I am looking at the Clubhouse Inn in West Yellowstone. Confusion has set in as I am unclear as to the best location for us for purposes of visiting Yellowstone, particularly the geysers, considering we will be driving to/from Teton Village for our Yellowstone leg. Should we just stay somewhere closer to the south entrance and therefore nearer to GT? All input and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Yellowstone and GTNP with city kids-last minute trip
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 California San Diego area lodging
- 2 Stopover between Las Vegas and Yosemite
- 3 2 weeks in California++ in April - Need suggestions on itinerary
- 4 Tallest and largest living Saguaros at Saguaro National Park
- 5 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 6 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 7 Hotel Consturction in NYC
- 8 Car Rental - NYC help me figure out logistics
- 9 Broadway show suggestions April 22 or 23
- 10 Advice on Roadtrip
- 11 Cabin in Northern Maine
- 12 New Orleans - good side trip in a car?
- 13 Sedona & Grand Canyon - 1 week trip from Phoenix
- 14 North Conway, Jackson or where to stay in October
- 15 Fall trip, best location to stay in Vermont. Need help please.
- 16 Furnace Creek Inn or Ranch
- 17 Old Town Alexandria Restaurants?
- 18 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 19 Montana- what are must see places?
- 20 Kauai our way! A Feb 2015 Trip Report
- 21 Hanging Lake Hike (CO) with Kids?
- 22 from Moab to Bryce
- 23 16 Days in Utah and Colorado with Our 2 Young Boys!
- 24 Chicago to New England Road trip
- 25 Drive from San Francisco to Seattle