Search

Disneyland Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disneyland Questions

HI,

We are taking our 5 year old twins to Disneyland for the first time on Wednesday August 1 and Thursday August 2 (only visiting Disneyland not California Adventure). I've come up with a rough plan for avoiding long lines based on the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland, but still have some questions:

1. On day one Wed. 8/1, how many rides can we realistically expect to ride before lunch at noon? We will get there at opening at 8:00, but it is an early entry day and we don't have early entry. We plan to spend our time that morning mostly in Fantasyland and then perhaps do the Tikki Room or Tom Sawyer Island before having lunch at the Golden Horseshoe.

2. We are having dinner that night at Blue Bayou after a rest at our hotel. We will probably want to either take in the parade, or go ride Finding Nemo before dinner. But, our dinner reservations are at 5:00. Will we be able to get across the park to the Blue Bayou by 5:00, when there is a parade starting at 4:00? And a related question, how long do the parades normally last?

Thank you!

Daria
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 02:23 PM

If you are planning on staying in Fantasyland, the longest line is going to be for Peter Pan. Don't hope that the line will go down - it won't. Not significantly, at least. If the kiddies want to go on it - just bite the bullet. You can make the loop around Fantasyland fairly quickly - you'll most likely be able to ride everything before 10:30. Dumbo usually has a long line and the Storybook boats are pretty slow loading, though. My usual policy is to grab a fast pass on a ride before standing in line for another but the there aren't any FP's in Fantasyland. Maybe try for one at Buzz Lightyear or Autopia. As far as getting across the park during a parade - it is a hassle. Just ride the train. The parades are usually a half hour. You can always ask any of the employees how long this particular parade is. If you want to hightail it to the Blue Bayou, I would sit on the frontierland side of mainstreet close to the roundabout, so that you could make a quick exit to new orleans square. Also, you should know that people start lining up for the parade a couple of hours before it starts. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you! This is REALLY helpful. I was thinking we would try to watch the parade from the Main Street area, since we will be returning to the park from our hotel. Perhaps we could pick up the train there. But, not sure what we will do about folks lining up a couple of hours beforehand as we probably won't want to do that. I'll have to think about it. Thanks again!
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 03:40 PM

Also know that some children are very frightened by a few of the rides in Fantasy land - mine were - Snow White, Mr. Toad for example...
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I've heard about Snow White and eliminated it, so I'll do the same for Mr. Toad. Thanks!
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 05:49 PM

I think Pinnochio's Scary Adventure is dark and scary too. Also surprising my brave son was really scared by Roger Rabbit as he felt the weasels were going to get him. He was at least 5 maybe even older.

Our kids went on the Carousel over & over. See if you can watch the sword in the stone attraction. It's held in front of King Arthur's carousel.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Does anyone have any idea how many rides we will be able to get in before noon? I can't tell from the Unofficial Guidebook. Or, does anyone know if a Disney website where I should post this question in a forum like this?
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM

It's short notice for you, but I've used the Unoffical Guied to Disneyland several times. It will tell you what rides and when. Also where to start from to save beaucoup time.

It also give recommendations by age group.

http://www.frommers.com/store/9781118277591.html
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 08:46 PM

I would estimate 45 minutes to an hour in line per ride (and hope for the best). As such, the number of rides (i.e. not shows as they can fit more in) you can get in is about one to two most an hour. Tune Town gets very busy in the morning early. Some rides have minimal lines such as the railroad; the steam boat; and so forth. Rides where you have to load and unload in smaller vehicles takes the most time in line. As such, part of the problem with estimating the number of rides you plan to take is based on what you plan to ride.

For example, you could easily do the railroad, the steam boat ride, the Tiki House and have plenty of time to spare. Or you could be stuck in line at Peter Pan and then the time is slower. Decide in advance what fast passes you want to use - use them on the rides that have the longer waiting times.

Be careful at the Tiki House - they also serve pineapple drinks there and it might look like the Tiki House line is really long. We were there recently and we were happy to discover it was easy to get into see Tiki House; the longer line was for the drink line which any one (even those not seeing Tiki House) can stop at and order.

I was on Mr. Toads when I was 5 - my mom loved the ride and it was her favorite. As such, I have never found Mr. Toad scary. Part of it is what you make of the rides.....its still one of my favorite although I'm now older. its good to know what to expect in advance -
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 11:23 AM

If you have a smart phone, you might want to get this app. It's free and gives fairly accurate wait times for rides. DD and I use it all the time.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/disne...329686864?mt=8
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 06:21 PM

I would highly suggest you get the following book, the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland. It lets you know where to go and in what order, and has recommendations for smaller children vs teens vs adults as to what they would prefer.

I've used it a bunch of times.

http://www.frommers.com/store/9781118277591.html

BTW: I've lost count as to how many times I've been, but I know it's over 50. Just a big kid at heart.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 07:13 PM

rasta, I think she has that book. "I've come up with a rough plan for avoiding long lines based on the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland,"
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 07:34 PM

When a parade "starts" at 4pm, it starts from its starting point (usually near Small world or Main Street, depending on the schedule), which means that it doesn't get to the Plaza for a bit after that. This could play a bit of havoc with your schedule. Maybe save the parade for the other day--or stay for the later parade?

If your boys don't need a "real" nap but just some time out, there are quiet corners here and there where you can just sit a while. You have to find them, but they exist. Not completely quiet, but often relaxing is the bench area near the New Orleans train station. At least, I've found quiet areas around there, if you can stand people walking by. Not crowds, but not empty.