we got up at TuTu Tun lodge and wandered over to the main lodge, where we were greeted by a roaring fire in the very large fireplace. the main lodge is very pretty--many windows, a computer for low-tech people like me to use, and then they served a great breakfast. there is a patio with a lovely garden. and, of course, the river is beyond the patio. we had not splurged on our room, but some of the other guests had a room with a hot tub on their patio. we were envious. this is a wonderful place.
we had planned to go down to crescent city and look at the sequioas and then go over to grants pass, but the weather seemed too iffy. so we just retraced our steps back up the coast. just past florence we stopped at the sea lion cave. this to me was a disappointment. we stopped at about 3:30 on an overcast, rainy day and you could not see much in the cave. you could smell and hear them, but not see them.. we then had a need for a hot tub and a place on the ocean, , so we made a reservation at the overleaf inn in yachats. this is a great location on the water. adn there is a public hot tub in the spa area that has a big window where you can look at the ocean. we took advantage of this.
we had made reservations in advance at most places, but got this room at the last minute. i had a sense that there were not too many people compteting for rooms...
People are warning us about a storm later in the day. we go farther up the coast and then go over to McMinnville. My SO has made a res at a winery that also functions as a B & b/ so we get there later in the afternoon. it's a bit of a challenge to find it--it's out of town a few miles. as soon as we get there fog rolls in and you cannot see 10 feet. we have a res at bistro maison in town, and I am scared about driving in the fog and finding my way back... amazingly, another couple at the B & B had arranged for a driver and had a res at the same restaurant at the same time as we did. talk about luck.
at 5, the B & B has a tasting of the various pinot noirs made by the winery. interesting and informative. so we then go to the bistro maison. this is the cullinary highlight of the trip for us. great food reasonably priced. we both had the scallop special. terrific.
during the night the storm hits. and i mean hits. we learn later that winds gusted up to 80 miles per hour. i have been in hurricanes, and this was not far from one. and the storm continued for most of the night.
the next morning the storm stopped, and we could seem the vineyard from the dining room-where we had an interesting salmon dish.
we then went to see the airplane museum--which has a number fo airplanes of various vintages. the focus is on the "spuce goose" made by howard hughes. interesting.
It's raining off and on. we then go to portland and go to the japanese garden. in the park. it's beautiful, but of course nothing is in bloom. but the waterfall and sand garden are still striking.
we then go to powell's book and have our portlandia moment. it really is an eccentric place. My SO gets me a book bag from there. great fun.
we then check into our hotel-the monaco. we had gotten a great rate-$99 ( not counting parking). and we enjoyed the hotel, altho the room was quite small. it's conveniently located downtown. there was a happy hour wine tasting at 5 (that we missed) and free bikes (that we did not take advantage of). we go to friend's house for dinner, so do not sample the portland restaurant scene.
We go to the airport and bid farewell to damp oregon. So what do I think about going to oregon in the winter? well, if you don't mind rain or storms, or like rain and storms (like my SO),.you probably will like it. I think if i had to do it again i would not drive around as much. I would go to few places-maybe cannon beach--and depoe by--and hang out for a while. an then maybe spend a fewd days in portland.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Timeshare on Cape Cod
- 2 Budget hotel San Francisco
- 3 OUR MANHATTAN ADVENTURE 2015
- 4 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 5 Best place for first night; Beach?
- 6 San Francisco and Napa
- 7 Utah: Southern Parks Itinerary Help
- 8 Will be in Palm Springs CA November 14-29, 2015
- 9 Seattle to Los Angeles Dec 2015
- 10 Welltravbrit's Ongoing NYC Jaunt
- 11 Philadelphia PA: Safe Place/Watched Lot to Leave Car Near NYC Bus Depot
- 12 Bagging a bargain on Black Friday?
- 13 Dry Tortugas, Ferry or SeaPlane
- 14 Vegas-Arizona-Utah road Trip
- 15 Miami to West Palm Beach tomorrow!
- 16 Modern, clean Miami Airport hotel ???
- 17 Relocating to the Deep South
- 18 Traveling to bend ore via hwy 5 fron SF in early January
- 19 2.5 days in New York. Are hotels the only option?
- 20 Security at Lucas Oil Stadium for Big Ten Championship
- 21 Costco Chicken Salad Recalled
- 22 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 23 south west family trip itinerary
- 24 Oahu November 2015 Trip Report
- 25 Report & Photos: Behind the Scenes at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!