In June, I travelled with Norwegian sun and visited 3 port of calls(Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway). On top of that, our ship visited 2 glaciers, namely Glacier Bay National Park and Hubbard Glacier.
Here are some tips for cruise passengers:
1. Do read the cruise itinerary carefully and know what time the cruise will be stopping in the national park. Large cruises are only allowed an hour or two in the waters of the national park. So you do not want to miss it.
2. Wake up early in the morning. I am talking about having breakfast at 6.30-7.30am to avoid the large infux of passengers going for breakfast at around 8-9am.
3. Secure an outdoor seating(find a good spot) to eat your breakfast. This is fairly important to those who stays in interior stateroom. You would want a good spot to view the glaciers and to take pictures.
4. Dress warmly even in summer. It can get quite chilly out there. Dress in layers! No need for down jacket. A good fleece jacket, t-shirts and jeans will suffice. It will be good if you have long john for the bottom half of the body.
5. If traveling with more than 4 people, please book rooms(balcony) on both side of the ship(starboard and port side). This will make viewing of cruise easier as the ship will be rotating 360degree.
6. Bring a good camera/binoculars with a good zoom. LOL. The cruise is not as close to the glaciers as i expected it to be.
For tons of pictures on glacier bay national park, do visit my blog at http://keeewei.blogspot.sg/2013/08/alaska-part-7.html
For tips on Ketchikan,
For tips on Juneau,
For tips on Skagway,
Hope this helps.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Diego to Vancouver in 14 Days
- 2 Summer trip
- 3 Jersey shore town recommendation for July 4th weeekend
- 4 Gros Ventre campsite availability mid Sept
- 5 family road trip from SF to Portland to Seattle
- 6 Route Planning for East USA
- 7 Florida keys trip
- 8 Pacific Northwest with daughters
- 9 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 10 Italian Food, Palm Desert
- 11 Where would you live for a year if housing was paid for?
- 12 How many states have you been to?
- 13 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 14 New Yorkers...I have a subway construction question for you...
- 15 Hiking the Narrows, Zion National Park
- 16 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 17 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 18 Guest Ranch - Montana/Wyoming
- 19 Skagway
- 20 Retiring in NM?
- 21 Chicago to Charleston
- 22 Alaska in First Week of Sept
- 23 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 24 Where to stay 3 nights to see Yosemite from Death Valley?
- 25 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
Tips for Cruise Passengers-Glacier Bay National Park & Hubbard Glacier