In June, I travelled with Norwegian sun and visited 3 port of calls(Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway). On top of that, our ship visited 2 glaciers, namely Glacier Bay National Park and Hubbard Glacier.
Here are some tips for cruise passengers:
1. Do read the cruise itinerary carefully and know what time the cruise will be stopping in the national park. Large cruises are only allowed an hour or two in the waters of the national park. So you do not want to miss it.
2. Wake up early in the morning. I am talking about having breakfast at 6.30-7.30am to avoid the large infux of passengers going for breakfast at around 8-9am.
3. Secure an outdoor seating(find a good spot) to eat your breakfast. This is fairly important to those who stays in interior stateroom. You would want a good spot to view the glaciers and to take pictures.
4. Dress warmly even in summer. It can get quite chilly out there. Dress in layers! No need for down jacket. A good fleece jacket, t-shirts and jeans will suffice. It will be good if you have long john for the bottom half of the body.
5. If traveling with more than 4 people, please book rooms(balcony) on both side of the ship(starboard and port side). This will make viewing of cruise easier as the ship will be rotating 360degree.
6. Bring a good camera/binoculars with a good zoom. LOL. The cruise is not as close to the glaciers as i expected it to be.
For tons of pictures on glacier bay national park, do visit my blog at http://keeewei.blogspot.sg/2013/08/alaska-part-7.html
For tips on Ketchikan,
For tips on Juneau,
For tips on Skagway,
Hope this helps.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 transportation from JFK to Newark airport 1 way
- 2 Sept trip: San Diego, Disneyland and...?
- 3 Driving from San Fran to Seattle
- 4 Where to stay - Yosemite, Sequoia, Zion - late July
- 5 Day hikes in Yosemite for family of 4 (2 teens)
- 6 Yosemite traffic worth it for 2-3 days?
- 7 Hilton Waikoloa Village - Yay or Nay?
- 8 FLL to Key West
- 9 2-day romantic couple getaway in CO mountains?
- 10 Driving south from Washington DC, but where??
- 11 Bringing gift box abroad as carry on?
- 12 Roadtrippin on Route 66
- 13 Road Trip to ND, SD, Nebraska, and Iowas
- 14 7-DAY SOJOURN IN SO. CAL
- 15 road trip
- 16 New England Road Trip
- 17 Best Vegas hotel with 12 & 15 year olds
- 18 Help with NE (Maine, Boston, Cape Cod) Trip
- 19 AZ and UT family road trip-seeking advice
- 20 Road trip from Saint Louis, Mo
- 21 Recommend an ATV Tour in UT, AZ or CO
- 22 Best way from Niagara Falls to Washington DC
- 23 Thoughts on these 3 spots for Estes Park lodging?
- 24 SF-Yosemite-Monterey-SF
- 25 San Francisco, Las Vegas - Where next?
Tips for Cruise Passengers-Glacier Bay National Park & Hubbard Glacier