DH and i will be in maui for a week at the end of august. i will be 6 months pregnant.
i have read a lot about the road to hana and am interested in doing that as a day trip. however, i have some reservations...
1. i'm VERY sensitive to mosquitoes and biting bugs (i.e. bug bites on me swell up to grapefruit/baseball-sized proportions). even in toronto, i don't go out at night between may - september without either long pants/sleeves, repellant and an electronic zapping device (don't ask - desperate times call for desperate measures!). in general, i do not go into wooded areas, i don't camp, i'm not a hiker, etc. needless to say, i will be bringing my arsenal of bug fighting gear with me on this trip ... even for evenings out in lahaina!
what is the mosquito/biting bug situation like on the road to hana? we plan to get out at a few stops but i'm definitely not hiking through deep forest to see a waterfall (sorry, just not my cup of tea ... bugs or not). being preggers, i'm not using repellent with DEET ... just some natural stuff which works great in toronto but might not be enough for hana?
2. what is the restroom/facilities situation like on the road to hana? i need to go the bathroom fairly frequently NOW so i can't imagine what that might be like when i'm 6 months pregnant. are there facilities often enough along the way that we can make pitstops? and more importantly, are the facilities equipped with running water (i.e. NOT outhouses/port-o-potties)? i'm not a squat-behind-a-tree gal ... i believe someone once called me an urban-ite!
on the plus side, i don't get motion sickness and any pregnancy-related-nausea seems to have subsided now so at least i can worry about other things for this potential day trip!
thanks in advance for the advice/insight!
the road to hana - mosquitoes and facilities?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Yosemite Lodging
- 2 Temecula Winery Tours
- 3 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 4 Fairbanks Alaska
- 5 First trip to Portland, OR - looking for recommendations
- 6 Worst Restaurants in America
- 7 Trip Report - Yellowstone & Grand Tetons National Parks - July 18-25, 2014
- 8 What's new on Maui?
- 9 Safe for female travelling alone to Alaska in early November?
- 10 Washington DC and Philadelphia
- 11 Help with seeing Rocky Mountain National Park
- 12 Jensen Beach - Vistana Beach Club
- 13 Broadway choices
- 14 MA to FL on Thanksgiving Day
- 15 Question About Sealodge
- 16 Edison Hotel or Holiday Inn Express manhattan midtown w
- 17 Colorado aspen updates
- 18 New England Skiing
- 19 4 week family trip ideas
- 20 Albuquerque to Vegas drive and sights
- 21 Best Sonoma wineries you've never heard of
- 22 Restaurant recommendations for Ft. Lauderdale
- 23 Florida KeysL Big Pine Key or Tavernier
- 24 Fairbanks, denali, kenai peninsula
- 25 Fall week in Massachusetts