DH and i will be in maui for a week at the end of august. i will be 6 months pregnant.
i have read a lot about the road to hana and am interested in doing that as a day trip. however, i have some reservations...
1. i'm VERY sensitive to mosquitoes and biting bugs (i.e. bug bites on me swell up to grapefruit/baseball-sized proportions). even in toronto, i don't go out at night between may - september without either long pants/sleeves, repellant and an electronic zapping device (don't ask - desperate times call for desperate measures!). in general, i do not go into wooded areas, i don't camp, i'm not a hiker, etc. needless to say, i will be bringing my arsenal of bug fighting gear with me on this trip ... even for evenings out in lahaina!
what is the mosquito/biting bug situation like on the road to hana? we plan to get out at a few stops but i'm definitely not hiking through deep forest to see a waterfall (sorry, just not my cup of tea ... bugs or not). being preggers, i'm not using repellent with DEET ... just some natural stuff which works great in toronto but might not be enough for hana?
2. what is the restroom/facilities situation like on the road to hana? i need to go the bathroom fairly frequently NOW so i can't imagine what that might be like when i'm 6 months pregnant. are there facilities often enough along the way that we can make pitstops? and more importantly, are the facilities equipped with running water (i.e. NOT outhouses/port-o-potties)? i'm not a squat-behind-a-tree gal ... i believe someone once called me an urban-ite!
on the plus side, i don't get motion sickness and any pregnancy-related-nausea seems to have subsided now so at least i can worry about other things for this potential day trip!
thanks in advance for the advice/insight!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where to stay - Yosemite, Sequoia, Zion - late July
- 2 road trip
- 3 Driving south from Washington DC, but where??
- 4 FLL to Key West
- 5 New England Road Trip
- 6 Best Vegas hotel with 12 & 15 year olds
- 7 Help with NE (Maine, Boston, Cape Cod) Trip
- 8 Roadtrippin on Route 66
- 9 Driving from San Fran to Seattle
- 10 AZ and UT family road trip-seeking advice
- 11 Road trip from Saint Louis, Mo
- 12 Recommend an ATV Tour in UT, AZ or CO
- 13 Best way from Niagara Falls to Washington DC
- 14 Sept trip: San Diego, Disneyland and...?
- 15 Bringing gift box abroad as carry on?
- 16 Yosemite traffic worth it for 2-3 days?
- 17 Thoughts on these 3 spots for Estes Park lodging?
- 18 SF-Yosemite-Monterey-SF
- 19 2-day romantic couple getaway in CO mountains?
- 20 San Francisco, Las Vegas - Where next?
- 21 Ashville, NC; where to stay?
- 22 Got error in dell printer 016-302
- 23 San Francisco Hotel With Car
- 24 Week of July 4th in Hamptons. First-timer, bday dinner...
- 25 New Itinerary