DH and i will be in maui for a week at the end of august. i will be 6 months pregnant.
i have read a lot about the road to hana and am interested in doing that as a day trip. however, i have some reservations...
1. i'm VERY sensitive to mosquitoes and biting bugs (i.e. bug bites on me swell up to grapefruit/baseball-sized proportions). even in toronto, i don't go out at night between may - september without either long pants/sleeves, repellant and an electronic zapping device (don't ask - desperate times call for desperate measures!). in general, i do not go into wooded areas, i don't camp, i'm not a hiker, etc. needless to say, i will be bringing my arsenal of bug fighting gear with me on this trip ... even for evenings out in lahaina!
what is the mosquito/biting bug situation like on the road to hana? we plan to get out at a few stops but i'm definitely not hiking through deep forest to see a waterfall (sorry, just not my cup of tea ... bugs or not). being preggers, i'm not using repellent with DEET ... just some natural stuff which works great in toronto but might not be enough for hana?
2. what is the restroom/facilities situation like on the road to hana? i need to go the bathroom fairly frequently NOW so i can't imagine what that might be like when i'm 6 months pregnant. are there facilities often enough along the way that we can make pitstops? and more importantly, are the facilities equipped with running water (i.e. NOT outhouses/port-o-potties)? i'm not a squat-behind-a-tree gal ... i believe someone once called me an urban-ite!
on the plus side, i don't get motion sickness and any pregnancy-related-nausea seems to have subsided now so at least i can worry about other things for this potential day trip!
thanks in advance for the advice/insight!
the road to hana - mosquitoes and facilities?
- 1 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 2 South Lake Tahoe (end of December 2013)
- 3 Princeville in January
- 4 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 5 Charlotte Area Suggestions
- 6 San Diego Desert Trip in January
- 7 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 8 dog friendly hotels websites--any others than bringfido.com?
- 9 Warm and don't Drive
- 10 Roadtrip New Orleans, Vicksburg, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans
- 11 UK passport to travel from US to Thailand
- 12 Roads Open to Estes Park
- 13 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 14 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast
- 15 RIP Judy Rogers
- 16 No high rises, low key natural area with water access in SW Fla
- 17 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 18 BASEBALL SPRING TRAINING-SCOTTSDALE
- 19 First time to Austin-San Antonio area
- 20 Fun restaurants in New Orleans
- 21 hotel near Met NYC
- 22 NY - Tapas/Wine bar in theater district
- 23 Good mobile booking apps for Kansas City area
- 24 pa to az
- 25 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013