DH and i will be in maui for a week at the end of august. i will be 6 months pregnant.
i have read a lot about the road to hana and am interested in doing that as a day trip. however, i have some reservations...
1. i'm VERY sensitive to mosquitoes and biting bugs (i.e. bug bites on me swell up to grapefruit/baseball-sized proportions). even in toronto, i don't go out at night between may - september without either long pants/sleeves, repellant and an electronic zapping device (don't ask - desperate times call for desperate measures!). in general, i do not go into wooded areas, i don't camp, i'm not a hiker, etc. needless to say, i will be bringing my arsenal of bug fighting gear with me on this trip ... even for evenings out in lahaina!
what is the mosquito/biting bug situation like on the road to hana? we plan to get out at a few stops but i'm definitely not hiking through deep forest to see a waterfall (sorry, just not my cup of tea ... bugs or not). being preggers, i'm not using repellent with DEET ... just some natural stuff which works great in toronto but might not be enough for hana?
2. what is the restroom/facilities situation like on the road to hana? i need to go the bathroom fairly frequently NOW so i can't imagine what that might be like when i'm 6 months pregnant. are there facilities often enough along the way that we can make pitstops? and more importantly, are the facilities equipped with running water (i.e. NOT outhouses/port-o-potties)? i'm not a squat-behind-a-tree gal ... i believe someone once called me an urban-ite!
on the plus side, i don't get motion sickness and any pregnancy-related-nausea seems to have subsided now so at least i can worry about other things for this potential day trip!
thanks in advance for the advice/insight!
the road to hana - mosquitoes and facilities?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best Sonoma Wineries for Group Visit
- 2 Itinerary for solo traveler to Maui, Hawaii
- 3 San Fran experts: need help with Bay vista points
- 4 Whale watching
- 5 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days
- 6 Stubhub and NFL Tickets
- 7 Great Girls' Weekend in NYC!
- 8 palm desert, CA
- 9 Priceline: bid for walkable to Alamo/Riverwalk in San Antonio. Possible?
- 10 New York Trip
- 11 New York City Restaurants
- 12 Connecticut trip 3rd week of September
- 13 Road Trip
- 14 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 15 Restaurant recommendations for lower east side & upper west side
- 16 Houston in September
- 17 Turning right with red traffic light ?
- 18 Traffic north on Hwy. 1 in Maine Sat. 9/20 midday
- 19 Disappointed with Hotwire for our Austin Rental Car
- 20 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 21 6 Weeks in the U.S./ London with Two 60ish Young At Heart
- 22 Hotels in North Philadelphia
- 23 Niagara Falls-- US side or Canada
- 24 Restaurant recommendations for Washington DC - city centre
- 25 Scouting Mt. Dora, Florida