Good day, all,
This will be a solo mission: I am planning to drive up from LA to Portland and back to LA sometime in April or May (closer to April) when the days are longer. I have about a 2 week time frame to do it in so my itinerary is quite flexible.
My course of action is as follows:
Drive like a freak up I-5 to Redding, stay one night. The next day drive from Redding to Crater Lake then on to Portland. Once I arrive in Portland my schedule is quite open. I wish to take in the city and surrounding areas: i.e. Columbia River Gorge, etc. I am bringing along my mountain bike so I can bike around the city, maybe some mellow city/mountain bike trails and perhaps even do some car/bike camping in the CR Gorge. I'm planning to allocate about 4-5 days or so in Portland. The reason for 5 days is so that I can spend time with my friend who lives in Portland.
After checking out Portland, I am planning to drive back down to LA via the Oregon coast. I am also bringing along a surfboard so I can surf some spots along the Oregon coast. Then, I am just gonna coast down PCH on my way back to LA.
Is the weather favorable in early April?
Would it be possible to do a quick tour of Crater Lake and still make it to Portland in one day or would I have to take an additional day. Should I stop in another city other than Redding to make this more feasible? Is Crater Lake worth the extra day?
Is 4-5 days enough time to soak up everything Portland and CR Gorge has to offer?
Are there certain hotels that allow people to bring their bikes into the rooms?
What are the best places to stay along the Oregon coast hotel and/or camping wise? I saw this place called "beachcombers inn" in Gold Beach. Is the area a good place? Can you guys recommend other places or destinations that are nice enough to justify staying for 2 night?
I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Utah National Parks Itinerary
- 2 Daughters/ mother 4/5 girl trip
- 3 Sequoias between Death Valley and San Diego
- 4 low elevation to Yellowstone
- 5 Boston for a cruise: South end? Downtown?
- 6 Denver, Colorado to Grand Canyon, Arizona Summer Trip
- 7 Driving from FLL to Key West
- 8 How to do 3 days around North Cascades National Park?
- 9 Rules of the NY Subway
- 10 vermont lake
- 11 Where to stay at Grand Wailea & Grand Hyatt
- 12 Yosemite Trip May 2017
- 13 Best weather and tips to roadtrip to west coast USA
- 14 Seward without a car
- 15 Default Vegas-GC-Antelope-Bryce-Zion-Vegas
- 16 Grand Canyon 10/17
- 17 Best Time to Travel the West Coast (USA)
- 18 Yellowstone/Grand Tetons Itinerary Help!
- 19 flagstaff
- 20 Anyone use Hawaiian Airlines?
- 21 sugestions
- 22 Yellowstone/Grand Teton Camping Itinerary
- 23 Oregon Overnight south of Crater Lake
- 24 Moving to Tulsa, OK
- 25 Travel from Philadelphia to New York
Good day, all,