Good day, all,
This will be a solo mission: I am planning to drive up from LA to Portland and back to LA sometime in April or May (closer to April) when the days are longer. I have about a 2 week time frame to do it in so my itinerary is quite flexible.
My course of action is as follows:
Drive like a freak up I-5 to Redding, stay one night. The next day drive from Redding to Crater Lake then on to Portland. Once I arrive in Portland my schedule is quite open. I wish to take in the city and surrounding areas: i.e. Columbia River Gorge, etc. I am bringing along my mountain bike so I can bike around the city, maybe some mellow city/mountain bike trails and perhaps even do some car/bike camping in the CR Gorge. I'm planning to allocate about 4-5 days or so in Portland. The reason for 5 days is so that I can spend time with my friend who lives in Portland.
After checking out Portland, I am planning to drive back down to LA via the Oregon coast. I am also bringing along a surfboard so I can surf some spots along the Oregon coast. Then, I am just gonna coast down PCH on my way back to LA.
Is the weather favorable in early April?
Would it be possible to do a quick tour of Crater Lake and still make it to Portland in one day or would I have to take an additional day. Should I stop in another city other than Redding to make this more feasible? Is Crater Lake worth the extra day?
Is 4-5 days enough time to soak up everything Portland and CR Gorge has to offer?
Are there certain hotels that allow people to bring their bikes into the rooms?
What are the best places to stay along the Oregon coast hotel and/or camping wise? I saw this place called "beachcombers inn" in Gold Beach. Is the area a good place? Can you guys recommend other places or destinations that are nice enough to justify staying for 2 night?
I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
Roundtrip driving from LA to Portland
Good day, all,
- 1 Traveling the upper west coast into vancouver
- 2 Looking for "cheap and cheerful" hotel in Miami!
- 3 Pick up north of Boston Logan
- 4 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 5 Carmel, California where to stay??
- 6 Which boat tour to take in New York with kids in June?
- 7 Sonoma CA Accommodations
- 8 San Franciso to Vancouver
- 9 ETHNIC RESTAURANTS IN DC W/ ETHNIC ENTERTAINMENT
- 10 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 11 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 12 Minneapolis Hotel
- 13 Place for lunch in Philly?
- 14 Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park opens today
- 15 South Tahoe around July 4 - GTG?
- 16 Driving from Seattle to San Fran
- 17 Washington Wineries
- 18 MERIDIAN HILL PARK DRUM CIRCLE
- 19 Charleston, Savannah and more cheesy grits please
- 20 Road trip Sacramento to Denver, help requested
- 21 Seward to Anchorage
- 22 California, Northern
- 23 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 24 New York City Parking
- 25 JFK to Upper West Side by subway