My wife and I are driving from Eastern Montana to Kentucky in July and are planning on taking a route through South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas as we've not been that way. Plan to get to Mt. Rushmore (see it late afternoon/evening), spend the night in Rapid City or somewhere nearby and head to the Badlands the next morning. Am guessing we should plan on spending a full day in the Badlands park and staying somewhere near there that night (the lodge is booked). After leaving there, would prefer to stay off of the interstates for awhile and someone had recommended going down through Murdo, SD, Valentine, NE, and North Platte, NE as a nicer drive on the way toward Kansas City and St. Louis.
I guess my general request is for any suggestions from those of you more familiar with SD, NE, and KS for routes to take, places to see or stay. I know many folks want to get through those states as quickly as possible, but we don't mind drives through rural parts and really just want to see some of the heartland as it is for a few days.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel near Marlins Park
- 2 Flipkey may be worse the vrbo
- 3 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 4 Two Seniors Visit NOLA, Cajuns and MS, Leave Wiser
- 5 Road Trippin' I-94, I-90, I-5, I-70, & I-80
- 6 fairfeld inn or Hampton inn
- 7 Vegas to Grand Canyon by car in a day
- 8 Husband unable to walk long distances
- 9 Middle aged and overweight - can I hike
- 10 Maui Bed and Breakfast
- 11 Pacific Coast Highway 1st Timer
- 12 Tioga Rd closed May-Oct??
- 13 All you can eat lobster in vegas and caviar
- 14 Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon in June 2018
- 15 Inexpensive NYC Meals 2.0
- 16 GOOD EATING ON THE DRIVE BETWEEN FLORIDA AND THE NORTHEAST??
- 17 limited mobility for Savannah
- 18 Easter Week in Key West April 2017
- 19 Colorado Forest Die Off - How Awful Is It? Should We Visit Elsewhere?
- 20 Northwest Passage
- 21 Travelling to Colorado for the First Time - What Should I See and Do?
- 22 Cleveland in 36 hours
- 23 17 DAYS - NATIONAL PARKS (LOOP FROM VEGAS)
- 24 Northwest Car Trip
- 25 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
Road Trip Plans - Eastern Montana to Kentucky through SD and NE and KS