My wife and I are driving from Eastern Montana to Kentucky in July and are planning on taking a route through South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas as we've not been that way. Plan to get to Mt. Rushmore (see it late afternoon/evening), spend the night in Rapid City or somewhere nearby and head to the Badlands the next morning. Am guessing we should plan on spending a full day in the Badlands park and staying somewhere near there that night (the lodge is booked). After leaving there, would prefer to stay off of the interstates for awhile and someone had recommended going down through Murdo, SD, Valentine, NE, and North Platte, NE as a nicer drive on the way toward Kansas City and St. Louis.
I guess my general request is for any suggestions from those of you more familiar with SD, NE, and KS for routes to take, places to see or stay. I know many folks want to get through those states as quickly as possible, but we don't mind drives through rural parts and really just want to see some of the heartland as it is for a few days.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 10 days in California. What should I hit?
- 2 New England Road Trip Itinerary
- 3 San Diego to Oregon road trip itinerary
- 4 Ideas for February Road Trip from San Francisco?
- 5 2 days in Vermont, Green Mountain area
- 6 Spring Break National Park Visit
- 7 Later Winter around Mobile
- 8 USA Trip in 4 Weeks
- 9 Uber boston
- 10 Any Estero Island/Ft Myers experts?
- 11 Best route to tour most of Michigan-Help!
- 12 Florida keys trip
- 13 Oregon Trip March 2017
- 14 First Time to Maine - Itinerary Help!
- 15 New orleans recs for family
- 16 Steamboat Springs, CO
- 17 My Colorado trip ?'s (June)
- 18 Florida beach vacation
- 19 Suggestion for Las Vegas to Yosemite in July
- 20 Hawaii Help
- 21 sight seeing Las Vegas to Palm Springs to Sante Fe
- 22 Driving from Provo to Grand Junction in March 2017
- 23 HAWAII; HELP!
- 24 28 Day Road Trip to the Northwest from Chicago
- 25 San Francisco to San Diego Road Trip with little kids
Road Trip Plans - Eastern Montana to Kentucky through SD and NE and KS