My wife and I are driving from Eastern Montana to Kentucky in July and are planning on taking a route through South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas as we've not been that way. Plan to get to Mt. Rushmore (see it late afternoon/evening), spend the night in Rapid City or somewhere nearby and head to the Badlands the next morning. Am guessing we should plan on spending a full day in the Badlands park and staying somewhere near there that night (the lodge is booked). After leaving there, would prefer to stay off of the interstates for awhile and someone had recommended going down through Murdo, SD, Valentine, NE, and North Platte, NE as a nicer drive on the way toward Kansas City and St. Louis.
I guess my general request is for any suggestions from those of you more familiar with SD, NE, and KS for routes to take, places to see or stay. I know many folks want to get through those states as quickly as possible, but we don't mind drives through rural parts and really just want to see some of the heartland as it is for a few days.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 JFK 10 hour layover-World Trade Center + ?
- 2 Los Angeles and Beyond
- 3 Steamboat in August
- 4 Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion itinerary
- 5 A Gem of a Restaurant in Long Beach, CA
- 6 Even Disney isn't Disney anymore
- 7 Cape cod Labor Day
- 8 US Open Tennis
- 9 Aussie family heading to the US for the first time
- 10 Hawaii with limited time
- 11 Glacier-Banaff-Jasper NPs Car Rental
- 12 Trip report -- Vermont: Bennington and Manchester
- 13 Portland to mt St. Helens and my rainer
- 14 Grand Teton Questions
- 15 October 2016 Hawaii trip help please
- 16 Your favourite places in New York City
- 17 Belmond Charleston, Mills House Wyndham or Spectator?
- 18 Trip Report: Charleston SC, Hilton Head, Savannah GA and Jekyll Island
- 19 5-7day one way Cruise or 26 glacier day cruise
- 20 where do the locals eat in Portland, Maine
- 21 One night one day in dallas accommodation
- 22 Help with first road trip - southeast us in January?
- 23 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 24 hiking in RMNP - Clothing Layers in August
- 25 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
Road Trip Plans - Eastern Montana to Kentucky through SD and NE and KS