We are a family of four (kids will be 8 1/2 and nearly 5 by time of trip) traveling from Ohio by car late June to early July. Kids travel well in the car. Our primary destinations are the Portland, ME area and Newport, RI. We have a budget of about $150 per night for a hotel. This is my tentative itinerary: first night in Albany, NY to crash after 10 hours on the road. Continue next day through VT via Route 9 then to NH either through Concord or Manchester before reaching ME. If there is anything interesting to do on this route between Albany and ME, please let me know. We wouldn't be opposed to a 2-3 hour side trip on day 2. We will most likely be staying at the Comfort Suites in Biddeford, ME due to their amenities (pool), price and availibility. We were thinking 6 nights--is this too much? We want to see Cape Elizabeth, several lighthouses, Portland kids museum and of course the Aquaboggan waterpark and Old Orchard Beach. Is Biddeford a good central location to do these activities? We have a reservation to spend the night in the Rose Island Lighthouse in Newport on 7/5 and were thinking of driving from ME to Newport early that day. Probably spend another night in the Newport area on the 6th before the long haul home on the 7th. We all enjoy biking, hiking, boating.
Input needed for itinerary to Maine and Rhode Island
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Traveling from Vegas to Grand Canyon and Southern Utah
- 2 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 3 Connecticut Highway 1. Should we do it?
- 4 Traffic from Wine Country to SFO on weekday
- 5 Recommended Private Shuttle Service From JFK Airport to Long Island City
- 6 4 Days in Kauai what to see and do
- 7 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 8 Kid School Admission
- 9 SOS....Thunderstorms when we plan to visit NOLA
- 10 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 11 NYC hotel/July
- 12 Boston to see Sargent works
- 13 Purchase of Florida Condo
- 14 Southern Alabama trip report
- 15 scenic route from Estes Park to Salt Lake City
- 16 Lake Tahoe - May Vacation Advice
- 17 2 Short Trips to NYC: Broadway, Opera, Tenements, Hotels, Cholesterol
- 18 New York City-New Things?
- 19 16 Days in Utah and Colorado with Our 2 Young Boys!
- 20 Oom-pa-pa at the Y (our “camping” report) April 2015 St. Louis MO
- 21 Alaska Trip Planning
- 22 Calling card for land line phones in National Parks in the western states
- 23 Atlanta to LA
- 24 Don't let me miss any special spots, YNP & GTNP in July.
- 25 Navajo Trail in Bryce Canyon -- what to do when Wall Street closed??