East cosat-New England Driving trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of starting trip in NJ maybe Cape May. I need some suggestions on lodging, entertainment, site-seeing, dining. Planning on driving from NJ to ME along coast. It will be my wife and I who are empty nesters. We are planning our trip the week after Labor Day.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 07:18 PM
yk

How long is your trip?
What are your interests?
Do you want to visit big cities or small towns?
Seacoast or mountains?
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 02:29 AM

How far north do you want to go? Last year we spent a weekend at the Dunes in Ogunquit. DH doesn't like big hotels and this was a little cottage colony. Very relaxing to have your own adirondack chairs and lovely landscaped secluded area but close to Rt 1. Walking th Marginal Way is traditional.

But we like the Maine coast north of Portland best of all. I would recommend a stop in Portland for a harbor cruise, explore and eat in the Old Port Area. Stay longer if you like cities but head north for a quieter area of Maine.

This also depends on how often you want to change hotels/motels and how long your trip will be.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:50 AM

How long is your trip? If you have the time, I recommend driving as far north as Acadia National Park. You could stay at Inn at Southwest Harbor, which is quieter than Bar Harbor. You could have lobster at Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard on Mount Desert Island. The scenery is spectacular!

If you don't have time to go as far north as ANP, then the towns south of Portland on the coast are pretty, such as Ogunquit & Kennebunkport. You could spend a day in Portland, a very nice small city & explore Old Port & visit the Art Museum if you like art. Also visit the lighthouse, Portland Head LIght.

You could also spend a few days on Cape Cod, most preferably along the National Seashore, which includes Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro & Provincetown.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

We will have about a week. Will stay on coast and looking for samller cities.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:37 AM
yk

With only 1 week, (and if you really want to see Maine), I'd stick with the southernmost coastline of Maine - Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, and York. This area is still >400 miles from Cape May and will take probably one whole day of driving just to get there, and another day to get home. If you base yourselves in that area, you can easily do a day trip to Portsmouth NH, and a day trip to Portland Maine. I think Arcadia is way too far for a 1-week trip (>600 miles).