I have a business trip to Chicago during February. I'm planning to stay over the weekend to do some sightseeing, and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've been to Chicago many times, and I can't think of anything that I really want to do this time other than go to the Art Institute again. I was wondering about going somewhere else. What's a good destination that won't involve a lot of travel? Grand Rapids/Holland looks interesting. Would that be a big mistake? Also, how should I plan for Friday afternoon/evening traffic out of Chicago to my destination (how early/late should I leave to avoid the peak of traffic)? I was once stuck in traffic at midnight in Chicago. I don't know if that road had special closures for construction at night or if it would have been busy at all times of the day. In any case, if it takes me 3 hours to leave Chicago, I won't be in the mood for another 3 hours on the road. I like the outdoors, but it will probably be too cold for me to stay outside too much. We like to visit museums and old houses. We like to shop for antiques and quirky finds, but I really want to do something more than shop on this trip.
Chicago side trip in February - Grand Rapids maybe?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 2 Key Largo, FL
- 3 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 4 Nude Beaches- Positive or Negative Experience?
- 5 Need an interesting place for one night near Memphis
- 6 San Antonio Airport Taxi to Majestic... and Food Suggestions??
- 7 travel up the coast from San Franciso to Seattle
- 8 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 9 driving from San Francisco to Seattle
- 10 West Coast Bound End of March
- 11 Buy GoPro Hero3
- 12 Help with Northeast vacation strategy
- 13 Austin Anniversary Dinner
- 14 driver for airport pick up in NY
- 15 Socorro, NM to Yellowstone and back in 7-8 days
- 16 Philly sports fans: bar needed...and running route.
- 17 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 18 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 19 Suggestions? Family of four that like National Parks
- 20 Locker at JFK
- 21 Ziplines, Zorb, Pancakes, and Parrots
- 22 Best places to move to Florida?
- 23 Philadelphia
- 24 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 25 San Diego