I have a business trip to Chicago during February. I'm planning to stay over the weekend to do some sightseeing, and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've been to Chicago many times, and I can't think of anything that I really want to do this time other than go to the Art Institute again. I was wondering about going somewhere else. What's a good destination that won't involve a lot of travel? Grand Rapids/Holland looks interesting. Would that be a big mistake? Also, how should I plan for Friday afternoon/evening traffic out of Chicago to my destination (how early/late should I leave to avoid the peak of traffic)? I was once stuck in traffic at midnight in Chicago. I don't know if that road had special closures for construction at night or if it would have been busy at all times of the day. In any case, if it takes me 3 hours to leave Chicago, I won't be in the mood for another 3 hours on the road. I like the outdoors, but it will probably be too cold for me to stay outside too much. We like to visit museums and old houses. We like to shop for antiques and quirky finds, but I really want to do something more than shop on this trip.
Chicago side trip in February - Grand Rapids maybe?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Antelope Canyon, Best Friends, Bryce, Zion trip report
- 2 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 3 Pyrotechnic Send-off
- 4 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 5 Parking/shuttle near Midway
- 6 Tennessee Alabama Louisiana
- 7 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 8 Florida St George's Island
- 9 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 10 Washington DC in Spring?
- 11 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 12 Kanab and Page with Kids Trip Report
- 13 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 14 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 15 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 16 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 17 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 18 Weekend in NYC
- 19 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 20 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 21 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 22 Utah mid Sept Trip Report, Zion, Bryce, Arches- beautiful!
- 23 Breckenridge in October
- 24 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 25 Family Trip to Moab - Flying into SLC