I have a business trip to Chicago during February. I'm planning to stay over the weekend to do some sightseeing, and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've been to Chicago many times, and I can't think of anything that I really want to do this time other than go to the Art Institute again. I was wondering about going somewhere else. What's a good destination that won't involve a lot of travel? Grand Rapids/Holland looks interesting. Would that be a big mistake? Also, how should I plan for Friday afternoon/evening traffic out of Chicago to my destination (how early/late should I leave to avoid the peak of traffic)? I was once stuck in traffic at midnight in Chicago. I don't know if that road had special closures for construction at night or if it would have been busy at all times of the day. In any case, if it takes me 3 hours to leave Chicago, I won't be in the mood for another 3 hours on the road. I like the outdoors, but it will probably be too cold for me to stay outside too much. We like to visit museums and old houses. We like to shop for antiques and quirky finds, but I really want to do something more than shop on this trip.
Chicago side trip in February - Grand Rapids maybe?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Albuquerque Recommendations
- 2 Driving between Nashville and Memphis
- 3 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 4 Can I make a 1pm flight out of OGG if I stay the night before in Hana?
- 5 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 6 Road to Hana in 2 days without spending the night???
- 7 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 8 Boston to PEI: Where would YOU stop over?
- 9 WEst Coast WINTER holiday - 5 weeks driving.
- 10 Brooklyn why?
- 11 What to see/do in Baltimore without a car?
- 12 Is it a good idea to stay near LAX?
- 13 Broadway Banter 2014: Starting off with book recommendation
- 14 Road trip from Nashville to Dallas
- 15 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 16 An overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows
- 17 New York City Restaurants
- 18 Where can I best see Orca whales in the wild?
- 19 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 20 Buying African Masks in Chicago, New York City or Atlanta
- 21 Maui vacation
- 22 Hotel to stay before Channel Islands
- 23 Favorite Washington, DC restaurants
- 24 Valdez (keystone canyon falls)? Matanuska? and other itinerary help
- 25 Trip to Portland and Oregon Wine Tour