I have a business trip to Chicago during February. I'm planning to stay over the weekend to do some sightseeing, and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've been to Chicago many times, and I can't think of anything that I really want to do this time other than go to the Art Institute again. I was wondering about going somewhere else. What's a good destination that won't involve a lot of travel? Grand Rapids/Holland looks interesting. Would that be a big mistake? Also, how should I plan for Friday afternoon/evening traffic out of Chicago to my destination (how early/late should I leave to avoid the peak of traffic)? I was once stuck in traffic at midnight in Chicago. I don't know if that road had special closures for construction at night or if it would have been busy at all times of the day. In any case, if it takes me 3 hours to leave Chicago, I won't be in the mood for another 3 hours on the road. I like the outdoors, but it will probably be too cold for me to stay outside too much. We like to visit museums and old houses. We like to shop for antiques and quirky finds, but I really want to do something more than shop on this trip.
Chicago side trip in February - Grand Rapids maybe?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best Destination in USA
- 2 Please help identify location in Southern California
- 3 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 4 Flying from LA to Massachusetts
- 5 August 2015 Western Roadtrip Route? 30 days...Two 22-year-old Girls
- 6 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 7 Nashville - Weekend Trip
- 8 WHY are rental cars in December in Florida so expensive?
- 9 Better cooking store in Seattle
- 10 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 11 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 12 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 13 Grand Teton Romantic Accomdations
- 14 advice on possible employment in GA or NC rural areas
- 15 New York City and New England
- 16 The East Coast adventure: December 2014
- 17 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 18 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 19 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 20 San Francisco with 7 kids ages 5-14
- 21 Last Minute NYE Trip to DC - Fancy Tea? Other special ideas...Wanted
- 22 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 23 Quick Austin weekend itinerary review
- 24 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 25 Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Banff in May or early Sept.?