I have a business trip to Chicago during February. I'm planning to stay over the weekend to do some sightseeing, and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've been to Chicago many times, and I can't think of anything that I really want to do this time other than go to the Art Institute again. I was wondering about going somewhere else. What's a good destination that won't involve a lot of travel? Grand Rapids/Holland looks interesting. Would that be a big mistake? Also, how should I plan for Friday afternoon/evening traffic out of Chicago to my destination (how early/late should I leave to avoid the peak of traffic)? I was once stuck in traffic at midnight in Chicago. I don't know if that road had special closures for construction at night or if it would have been busy at all times of the day. In any case, if it takes me 3 hours to leave Chicago, I won't be in the mood for another 3 hours on the road. I like the outdoors, but it will probably be too cold for me to stay outside too much. We like to visit museums and old houses. We like to shop for antiques and quirky finds, but I really want to do something more than shop on this trip.
Chicago side trip in February - Grand Rapids maybe?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC theatre broadway
- 2 First family ski trip
- 3 Grand Circle Trip report, Arizona and Utah
- 4 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 5 Looking for Destination Ideas
- 6 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 7 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 8 Chain of Craters Road safe with Infants
- 9 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 10 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 11 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 12 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 13 Anchorage Sheraton Hotel and Spa
- 14 Visiting Denver
- 15 Visiting Denver
- 16 Planning family gathering in Sedona
- 17 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 18 Laguna Beach, what to do
- 19 Louisville to Dallas, spring time, 10 days, teenagers
- 20 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 21 A day in Dallas
- 22 Stony Point, NC to Richmond, VA and surrounding areas... help, please!
- 23 Austin Anniversary Dinner
- 24 Door County Suggestions
- 25 Best seafood restaurant in Boston