Both me and my wife planned trip to Alaska at the beginning of September.
We have booked our flights, so the plan is on and I am on to planning phase now and came up with rough itinerary below. This is our first trip to Alaska and would appreciate all of your inputs to make itinerary an enjoyable one.
We are flying into Anchorage on Sep 1st night 10 PM and flying out of Anchorage on Sep 10th 12:45 AM. So we have from Sep 2nd till Sep 9th to explore, which is 8 days.
This is the rough itinerary I came up with and would be happy to tweak it based on the inputs:
Sep 1st: Land in Anchorage PM and stay overnight in Anchorage.
Sep 2nd: Explore very little around Anchorage and drive to Seward. Night stay in Seward.
Sep 3rd: Take Kenai Fjords 8 hour cruise. 8AM tour. Explore around Seward after cruise. Night stay in Seward.
Sep 4th : Drive to Whittier in the morning and take Prince William Sound 26 Glacier cruise. After cruise, explore that area and night stay somewhere between Whittier and Anchorage.
Sep 5th: Drive to Talkeetna. Do some activities in the area like white water rafting/glacier hike.
Sep 6th: Drive to Denali national park, explore the area and visitor center. Night stay at Healy or somewhere close to park.
Sep 7th: Take Denali park 8 hour bus tour and night stay at Healy over night.
Hopefully either on Sep 6th and 7th nights we can experience Northern lights weather permitting.
Sep 8th: Morning drive towards Anchorage and take diversion on to Glen Highway. Night stay at Sheep mountain lodge on Glen highway in Sutton.
Sep 9th: Drive on Glen Highway more and get photo opportunities at leisure pace. Start to Anchorage and get to airport by 9 PM.
Our initial plan was to go to Fairbanks instead of Glen Highway but going to Fairbanks meant longer drive back on single day to Anchorage airport for departure.
Our interests include glacier hikes, hiking with park guides in Denali park, photo opportunities landscape, cruise we are taking at Seward and Whittier, if we can plan any scenic trip on Alaska rail road that would be cool.
Looking forward for opinions. Feel free to suggest activities that could be planned out each day based on the itinerary.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 How much time in Badlands?
- 2 DC Restaurants
- 3 Mardi Gras - avoid or embrace?
- 4 Route from Denver to SteamboatSprings
- 5 Driving conditions from Denver to Winter Park
- 6 Where to stay in Little Rock AR
- 7 Chicago 2017
- 8 Hawaii and...where?
- 9 Sequoia National Park/Kings Canyon/Amtrak/Tours/grandchild
- 10 seeking advice -- scenic drive from DC to Chapel Hill
- 11 Christmas in Colorado
- 12 Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde
- 13 Driving from FLL to Key West
- 14 usa roadtrip
- 15 3-day beach weekend in FL Nov for 2 adults
- 16 Fall vacation in Beavers Bend State Park
- 17 Broken Bow, Oklahoma in the Fall
- 18 Babysitting on the North Shore, Oahu
- 19 Marfa/Big Bend
- 20 Williamsburg, VA reunion for 80 year olds
- 21 Visiting San Antonio early November
- 22 JFK to Washington
- 23 Phoenix for the weekend
- 24 LA Cali for 3 days alone, What To Do?
- 25 Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge in Big Sur to reopen at 5pm Friday October 13th