We are a family of four from Uruguay, South America (two kids ages 7 and 12) and are planning a road trip to North East USA for about 12 to 14 days, first two weeks of July this year.
We have been making road trips (renting RV) for the last couple of years, getting excellent advice and ideas from forums and destination experts whose invaluable support helped us put together and enjoy two unforgettable RV road trips; first to the West (California,Nevada & Arizona) and last year to (Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota). We can not thank all of them enough.
We did not get a chance to plan ahead for this year's trip, just today we got the chance and decided to travel, thus I am asking for your advice and support to help me put it together.
Even though we will at JKF (New York) we do not plan to spend time in the city at this time, for we believe that would be a trip on itself for a different occasion.
Our main goals are to see some highlights of the North East / New England and enjoy time as a family.
We love National Parks, exploring the outdoors, caves, mountain and trail hiking , exploring historical and interesting places, driving through scenic routes, experiencing unique adventure activities like white water rafting or other, as well as visit on or two main amusement parks along the way.
We just sketched a possible loop which includes some main points as follows :
- Start form the NY/NJersey area towards Boston area
- continue to Portland (ME) area
- drive and explore scenic routes though New Hampshire and Vermont towards Montreal, QC
- continue to Niagara Falls
- through Pennsylvania to Washington DC
- back to New Jersey/NY. ( we know there is a Six Flags Great adventure in NJersey, which believe the kids my enjoy a lot )
We do not intend to spend too much time in the main cities, but enjoy the surroundings, drive by and just get a glimpse of the main spots and highlights.
We enjoy much more to discover small historical towns, appreciate the way of life of local communities and living some local experiences than touring the big cities.
Except Washington DC, which should be a highlight of the trip and we plan to spend a full couple of days to visit the main monuments and attractions (White House, Capitol Bldng, Washington Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Arlington)
a) is this part of the country as RV friendly as the West, where it was very easy and friendly to drive around at any time of day, and find really nice RV parks all over the place.
b) If so, do you recommend to make this road trip in an RV? We do love the RV experience and the flexibility it gave us to move from one place to the next on our previous road trips.
c) Can we cross the border to Canada on a rented RV?
d) any suggestion on Quality RV rental in the NY/NJersey area ? We rented last year from Access RV (5 Star Certified renter) and the quality of the rental RV was amazing! Very different from the previous year and thus a very different travel experience.
The loop I described above is about 1600 miles, similar to our two previous road trips both in distance and length of time.
Would appreciate your recommendation on nicest routes to take, places to visit, not to miss towns or sites, not to miss activities, family fun and enjoyable places and activities in those areas, etc. etc. As well as your overall thought about this trip based on your own experience.
All inputs will be greatly appreciated and very helpful to put together this road trip.
Thanks a lot in advance for your support,
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Watch ICE Hockey 27 September 2016 Live Stream
- 2 Tksgiving trip Anacortes or Whidbey Island?
- 3 Seattle first timers....outdoor trip in October
- 4 Cross-Country trip advice
- 5 Finding Steve Perry
- 6 las vegas anyone
- 7 Chicago Hotel Recommendations
- 8 Mnnpls--what to do, culture and food
- 9 Sheraton Hotel at Bradley Airport. Conn
- 10 University of Florida Public Campus Parking
- 11 One day coastal New England fall foliage
- 12 San Jose to Napa Valley
- 13 Broadway Banter? Fall 2016 - calling HowardR
- 14 Casinos near Anaheim, CA?
- 15 Fall colours first 2 weeks of October Boston area
- 16 Parking Downtown St. Louis
- 17 Zion, Bryce, Monument, Grand Canyon, Death Valley Yosemite Itinerary help!
- 18 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Policy
- 19 Monday Morning Traffic to Laguardia from NW CT
- 20 arizona and utah 14 night circle
- 21 Mendocino County Wineries?
- 22 California Channel Island Santa Cruz Snorkeling
- 23 Yoga Retreats
- 24 Spur of moment trip to CA, best way to spend our time
- 25 Biloxi Report