I'm getting ready to book a car to rent for our 10 days in Charleston, SC and was shocked to see that all of the fees and taxes add up to nearly half the cost of the car. Most of the rental companies I've checked come within a few dollars of each other. I also called my insurance company, USAA, and it was only a few dollars cheaper. I did find that I could rent a car on Hotwire for 2/3 the cost of the others. They state that all fees and taxes are included in the total cost. Apparently you learn the car rental company once you've booked the car. Also, there are no changes or refunds once you've booked. I'm not especially loyal to any particular car company and I don't envisiage any changes to our trip, so is there any other downfall with renting a car through Hotwire?
Has anyone used Hotwire for booking cars?
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Morocco Travel Click
- 2 two months away and mold problems.
- 3 Noise Cancelling Headphones
- 4 Barclaycard Arrival MC chip & pin useless in Italy
- 5 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 6 Looking for a hat to wear in the rainforest
- 7 $950,000 travel insurance mistake
- 8 Need packing tips: 24 days in Japan
- 9 NEED URGENT DESTINATION ADVICE!
- 10 What's stopping you from traveling more?
- 11 10-14 days BKK, Udon Thani & Beach with kids
- 12 Hotel bidding site recommendations.
- 13 Winter Roadside Emergency Kit
- 14 Phone service
- 15 Does anyone have the Sparrow bag I read about in Sunday's LA Times?
- 16 10 Days of travel help!
- 17 Travel Agency Review for Trip to Spain
- 18 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 19 French gastronomy
- 20 Thailand, Laos, Cambodia
- 21 Re-checking bag after a layover.
- 22 Best places to start...
- 23 25th wedding anniv travel
- 24 Where in the World Should We Go?
- 25 Friends Seeking Advice