I am a 28 year old woman and am planning a 3 week trip to Buenos Aires, AR & to Cusco, Peru in Oct/Nov & will be traveling alone. I plan on taking some spanish courses during the week with a reputable school but will be exploring more of the cities on my own during the weekends and at night. I am not a virgin traveler, I moved to New Zealand when I was 20 yrs old by myself & also backpacked through Europe for a few months alone for a few months as well. I always felt like these were rather safe countries to travel alone though! Even though I have traveled before on my own, I have always been a little more timid about traveling in South America alone. Also my family & friends have also started to fill my head with all these horrible scenario's & it's really starting to worry me & I have actually been thinking about canceling my trip.
If there are any women out there that have traveled to South America alone, particularly through Argentina & Peru (Machu Picchu) could you please advise me on what your experiences were like and if you felt safe?! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am also looking for a good tour company to do a 2 day trek on the Inca Trail if you know of any as well! Thank you so much for your time!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Brief Notes on a February in Ecuador
- 2 Inca Trail Report: 5 day version with Wayki Trek
- 3 Fun adventure ...with 6 yr old
- 4 Iguazu Falls - 4 star hotel near the airport?
- 5 Layover in Lima
- 6 South America this October
- 7 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 8 2 Weeks in Armenia, Colombia/July
- 9 San Salvador Layover
- 10 Colca/Arequipa/Puno - organized tour (bus) or something less crowded?
- 11 Wine Tours in Chile and Argentina -
- 12 Chile & Argentina wine trips
- 13 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 14 Huaraz to Trujillo, Chiclayo and Piura
- 15 Santiago & Valparaiso - Help with Planning
- 16 Couple of days out from Bogota - Safe and possible?
- 17 2 weeks in Peru/Chile
- 18 Ecuador Trip Plan: What did we get right and wrong?
- 19 Logistics to reach Angel Falls in Venezuela
- 20 Santiago, Chile
- 21 limited time in Cusco
- 22 Iguassu Falls footwear?
- 23 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 24 Visiting Ollantataymbo from Cusco
- 25 Getting Visa for U.S. citizen at the border