Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Single female traveling to Macchu Pichu/Peru alone. Unwise?

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Fodorites,

I am new to this forum, looking to travel to Peru/Macchu Pichu ruins alone this coming month of April. For those of you who have traveled there already, alone or with company, please advise about your perceptions regarding the safety I can expect as a single female traveling to this part of the world. I speak fluent Spanish and have traveled to other LatAm countries in the past but never alone, and never to such remote areas as Macchu Pichu. Any tips would be of great help, especially if you've taken that same journey alone in the past. Many thanks, in advance,

Marina
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Doh

Not sure if you mean to hike there but I would recommend it (if you like that sort of thing). It's been a couple of years since we hiked the Inca Trail, but my impression was that most everybody joins a guided tour (i.e. a group of hikers led by a guide, and very often accompanied by a porter to carry food/camping equipment). In fact, IIRC, this may be a requirement, so while you may start off alone, you won't be travelling alone. This is even more true because everyone camps in the same places, so even if you end up hiking more or less on your own during the day, at night there will be almost a "tent city"-- and Macchu Picchu itself will seem almost overrun with people by the late morning (when tourists arriving by train rather than foot start arriving).

Cusco is a lovely city and we never really felt unsafe there. There are a lot of travellers around so you may be able to find agreeable travelling companions. In short, my sense is that you should be fine (normal precautions applying).

On the other hand, we were told to be very careful in the capital and did not spend much time there at all.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:49 AM

I hitchiked and walked to Machu Pichu and did not take the Inca Trail. I would never advise a girl to hitchike by herself but I encountered no problems other than I got dropped off on the edge of Cusco on my return and it was not a part of Cusco where many foreigners dare venture.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Hello Marinita
I just traveled to Peru last year on June it was very funcy we were thre girls in peru 22225 years old and didn't have any kind of problem with any one April its good tiem to travel in Cuzco becouse before is raining season and latewr up June until August is high season, we were in an ice and cheap accommodation in Miraflores so if You are goign to need any kind of help drop me on line
[email protected]
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Hi Marina
First of all, you are going to love Peru and the Peruvians, they are the best part of the trip! I travelled to Peru in Nov with Lost World Adventures. They did a wonderful job of providing guides. I speak Spanish relatively well and am past the age anyone might find attractive (unless heavily under the influence) but I would not have felt comfortable alone. There is a significant presence of armed guards and police everywhere. I would recommend contacting Lost World and hooking up with one of their trips. Denise handled all my arrangements and she is very well informed about Peru. Go see Machu Picchu now, before the tourists love it to death!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Marinita,

My wife and I were in Cuzco/Machu Pichu in September 2003. While I cannot speak for all of Cuzco, which is a large city, the tourist areas of the Plaza de Armas and San Blas I consider very safe as long as one operates under urban rules: don't walk at night on deserted streets, don't wear flashy jewelry, etc.
As for unwanted male attention, I saw no evidence of this - and my wife is blonde and very pretty. I found Peruvians to be polite, quiet, and, with the acception of street kids in the Plaza, not at all aggressive. The Peruvians of Quchua decent are more reserved still - rather shy.

In short, especially with your command of the language, you should be fine.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Cusco, Peru, Machu Picchu are beautiful places and in general should be safe; however, it is a country where not all is predictable--pretty true of most all South American countries (ie. there was a transportation strike when we were there and pretty much the whole country shut down. Having someone else to figure out what we needed to do was a godsend.) My suggestion would be to travel with a small tour group so that you have the comfort of being with other people and a trained guide. We did this (husband and I) and there was just one other couple with us--worked very nicely. For pictures and a report of what we saw and did--and a chance to become even more excited about your upcoming trip--you might enjoy my website. If interested, click here
http://www.janeandken.com/Machu_Picc...ed_Valley.html
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:08 AM
fab

I travelled by myself throughout Peru in 97 (as single female) and did not have any problems. I was also lucky to meet so many foreigners and tag along here and there. Cuszco is v safe in the Plaza de Armas area, where most hotels are located. I remember paid $10 for hotel room w/ breakfast in a cute B&B. I also walked into a travel agency and booked a couple of day trips w/ them (wish I remembered their name...) including a rafting in the Urubanba river - so much fun! I was a whimp and took the train to MP, but have heard it is a more magic experience when you get up there after the Inca trail (probably because you are so exausted!). I am not into camping, so train was the right choice for me. If you decide to do the trail, do w/ a group (you can join a group when you go to the travel agency). I also suggest you go to Arequipa, the white city, for a couple of days as it is v charming. Have fun!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:25 PM

My sister and I traveled together in Peru last month. We felt very safe, more so than I expected, lot's of real police in the cities. We got less unwanted attention than on our trips to Europe. One day at MP my sister was sick and I hiked the ruins alone. I stopped short of one peak because I didn't feel safe (as in falling off the mountain), so you might want to hook up with hiking partners for strenuous hikes. PS I have nothing but good things to say about the DR at the first aid station near the entrance to MP...but that's another story.