I have read all the books and forums and have a dilemna. We will be in Argentina for 13 days in March. It is our first trip. We like to hike, my husband fly fishes and I do photography. We plan to stay in BA for 3 days, then fly to Bariloche, rent a car and stay somewhere around San Martin. We will drive around the area, visiting all the parks and hiking. My question is whether to take a few days to fly to El Calafate and take a bus to El Chalten. Is the hiking similar in El Chalten to the Bariloche area or is the scenery different? Is it worth all the extra travel time? We typically see a lot of a country in 2 weeks and I want to make sure we don't get bored in one place. At the same time, I want to make sure we see a variety of terrain since it is a long flight to Argentina and I don't know when or if we will be back. We have seen a lot of glaciers around the world (Alaska, Norway, Canada, China etc), so hiking glaciers is not a priority. Thank you for any advice you might have.
Bariloche area to El Chalten?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 2 Our Founder at Susie Abney Foundation
- 3 Galapogos by Land or by Sea?
- 4 More Help With Retirement Trip
- 5 Sisters trip to Argentina and Chile
- 6 JW Marriott Lima
- 7 Trip Report - Very Long
- 8 Any recommendations for guide at Iguazu?
- 9 My Trip to the Galapagos
- 10 Quito recommendations
- 11 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 12 Yellow Fever Vaccination Clinic in Salta?
- 13 Which airline to fly to Cusco?
- 14 Able to buy Machu Picchu tickets online today!
- 15 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 16 AEP to Recoleta - Taxi/Bus/Car Service
- 17 Cell phone in Brazil?
- 18 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 19 Gifts to Bring to Peru
- 20 Ecuador weekend beach trip - is it possible?
- 21 Salta itinerary- 4 nights
- 22 Ecuador-tour guides
- 23 Rio, Iguassu Falls and Buenos Aires
- 24 Lima or Ollantaytambo for Spanish Lessons
- 25 lima airport transport