I have read all the books and forums and have a dilemna. We will be in Argentina for 13 days in March. It is our first trip. We like to hike, my husband fly fishes and I do photography. We plan to stay in BA for 3 days, then fly to Bariloche, rent a car and stay somewhere around San Martin. We will drive around the area, visiting all the parks and hiking. My question is whether to take a few days to fly to El Calafate and take a bus to El Chalten. Is the hiking similar in El Chalten to the Bariloche area or is the scenery different? Is it worth all the extra travel time? We typically see a lot of a country in 2 weeks and I want to make sure we don't get bored in one place. At the same time, I want to make sure we see a variety of terrain since it is a long flight to Argentina and I don't know when or if we will be back. We have seen a lot of glaciers around the world (Alaska, Norway, Canada, China etc), so hiking glaciers is not a priority. Thank you for any advice you might have.
Bariloche area to El Chalten?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 2-weeks trip to Chile, itinerary review
- 2 Headed to Bogota and Villa de Leyva next week!
- 3 First time to Chile for 2 weeks March/April
- 4 Touring Iguazu Falls
- 5 Brazil: Bonito/Pantanal : Manaus Guide Recommendations
- 6 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 7 Chile, Brazil and New York
- 8 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 9 My (entertertaining & illustrated) advice on the best ever Peru itinerary
- 10 Christmas in the Andes (Peru & Ecuador)
- 11 Three weeks in South America
- 12 TRIP DO COLOMBIA
- 13 Beginning-to-start to plan Colombia for July 2015
- 14 Colombia...without Bogota? Looking for opinions!
- 15 Argentina ininerary November 2015
- 16 Easter Day in Rio
- 17 Argentina Trip report
- 18 One week Family Spring Break in Cartagena and ??
- 19 PERU HORSE TOUR FROM CUSCO TO MACHU PICCHU
- 20 Your tips on Galapagos 2015 for Single Traveler
- 21 Local tour companies in Bolivia
- 22 Ecuador - Amazon Basin Trip
- 23 Reality check for 8 day trip to Peru in May
- 24 Patagonia tour
- 25 Patagonia tour in April