I have read all the books and forums and have a dilemna. We will be in Argentina for 13 days in March. It is our first trip. We like to hike, my husband fly fishes and I do photography. We plan to stay in BA for 3 days, then fly to Bariloche, rent a car and stay somewhere around San Martin. We will drive around the area, visiting all the parks and hiking. My question is whether to take a few days to fly to El Calafate and take a bus to El Chalten. Is the hiking similar in El Chalten to the Bariloche area or is the scenery different? Is it worth all the extra travel time? We typically see a lot of a country in 2 weeks and I want to make sure we don't get bored in one place. At the same time, I want to make sure we see a variety of terrain since it is a long flight to Argentina and I don't know when or if we will be back. We have seen a lot of glaciers around the world (Alaska, Norway, Canada, China etc), so hiking glaciers is not a priority. Thank you for any advice you might have.
Bariloche area to El Chalten?
View all South America activity »
- 1 Practical to combine Amazon + beaches with visit to the Guianas?
- 2 Celebrating A Century Of Flight
- 3 Problems with emails USA-Brazil
- 4 how to get to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
- 5 8 Days in Brazil
- 6 Need Help with Itinerary (2.5 Months) (Indian Passport)
- 7 Carribean to Argentina or Uruguay
- 8 Flight and Lodging in Manaus and Rio
- 9 Where to celebrate the New Year ?
- 10 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 11 Lower savings with the "blue" exchange rate?
- 12 Peru Hop?
- 13 3 days before Cuzco/Machu Picchu - what to do, where to go
- 14 "Up to" 40% discount on LAN flights around South America today only
- 15 Uruguay Re-Do
- 16 Montevideo, Uruguay
- 17 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 18 More suggested reading
- 19 Please help me jump-start planning for Galapagos trip
- 20 Peru Best Tours: Buyers Beware
- 21 Bariloche over XMas
- 22 Quark Expeditions 50% off sale - Antarctica 2014
- 23 Traveling with a Computer?
- 24 Christmas Day in Buenos Aires
- 25 Two Weeks Ecuador - Itinerary Help!