Where to stay in Lisbon ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are mother and adult daughter flying into Lisbon in early July and would like to spend maybe 3 -4 nights before travelling to Slovenia. We will use public transportation. We enjoy walking and exploring areas in the city so would like a central location. Medium range costs, not 5 star, but nice. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 11:39 PM
mjs

Price range?
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 04:34 AM

Baixa is the most central location in Lisbon, it's also the flattest.
Look for hotels in that area.
The Metro is the easiest, fastest way to get around, buses can get stuck in traffic.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjs
Price range?
I realize we are going in high season so not really sure what is a medium price range.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aulop
Baixa is the most central location in Lisbon, it's also the flattest.
Look for hotels in that area.
The Metro is the easiest, fastest way to get around, buses can get stuck in traffic.
Yes this looks like a great area! Any suggestions on a place to stay for less than $200. a night?
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 07:06 AM

Thatīs actually a low budget these days for a hotel in the Baixa during July, but try Brown's Boutique (there are several Browns in the Baixa).

Also use booking.com, at the top change euros to dollars, at the left in the filters, check "hotels", then check Baixa/Chiado as your area, then at the top, switch from "our top picks" to "top reviewed" and see what comes up that is under $200 USD that has a review score of 8.7 or slightly below, which will probably assure you of a pleasant stay, or at least, it has for me.. Brown's Boutique does fit the bill, coming in at $184 USD for the first few days of July. But see if there are others.

If on booking.com you see something that comes in at budget, go directly to the hotel web site and see if the hotel rate beats the booking.com rate. For me, this past week, the hotel web site rate has consistently beaten booking.com, especially if I join their frequent guest program. But YMMV.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 08:10 AM

Agree with Maribel, use the procedure she outlines for hotel bookings ( it's the procedure I use ), she explains it better than me.
If I'm not familiar with a particular area I do a further search and look at hotel area with Google streetview before booking ( restaurants, cafes, general cleanliness of the area, etc), if I don't like what I see I book elsewhere.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 08:19 AM

That's a great ideal from aulop, to look at the Google street view. And often from the street view one can tell if the street is hilly or flat. And especially, the degree of "gentrification" of said street or the construction going on there.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maribel
That's a great ideal from aulop, to look at the Google street view. And often from the street view one can tell if the street is hilly or flat. And especially, the degree of "gentrification" of said street or the construction going on there.
I love this, we are in a wonderful generation that we have google street views!
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maribel
Thatīs actually a low budget these days for a hotel in the Baixa during July, but try Brown's Boutique (there are several Browns in the Baixa).

Also use booking.com, at the top change euros to dollars, at the left in the filters, check "hotels", then check Baixa/Chiado as your area, then at the top, switch from "our top picks" to "top reviewed" and see what comes up that is under $200 USD that has a review score of 8.7 or slightly below, which will probably assure you of a pleasant stay, or at least, it has for me.. Brown's Boutique does fit the bill, coming in at $184 USD for the first few days of July. But see if there are others.

If on booking.com you see something that comes in at budget, go directly to the hotel web site and see if the hotel rate beats the booking.com rate. For me, this past week, the hotel web site rate has consistently beaten booking.com, especially if I join their frequent guest program. But YMMV.
I went to the hotel site I chose and booked the room I wanted. No deals really but I'm happy to have found what looks like a nice place in a good location with high reviews. Its called The Hotel 7. Glad that is taken care of, now we have to decide if we want to go to Porto or carry on by train to Slovenia. We have 2 weeks before we meet up with her husband and kiddos for a week in Montenegro.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 02:51 PM

We were pleased with Hotel Da Baxia location-wise and service.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 01:17 AM

The Baixa is lovely but over jjude's $200 USD/night budget, unfortunately.