Recs for best pizza and sfogliatelle in Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be there for only a couple of days on way back form Sicily. Looking forward to indulging on some pizza and sfogliatelle while there...it's in my blood. My dad's family were all Neapolitan.

Plan on also visiting Caserta while there to see the palace. My ancestors lived in Caserta, Cimitile and Roccarainola.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 10:49 AM

I can’t claim to be an expert, but the sfoglietelli I had a Salvatore Varriale was the best I had last summer when I was there. I actually walked there from some distance upon my return to Napoli (after having traveled through Italy for a few weeks) and was crushed that they were closed. I’ll be hitting it again this July.

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best pizza IME is in Caserta, so enjoy! I ended up eating a lot of street food, including pizza al portafoglio, in Naples during my visit last year. But I did enjoy sitting down at Pizzeria Concettina ai Tre Santi in Rione Sanità. Napoli won the scudetto while I was there, so everything--everything--was mobbed. You might want to book if you can. If you haven't visited Sanità on previous visits, see if you can squeeze it in. Very close to the archaeology museum.

Sfogliatelle. I'm no expert but I love them and try them everywhere. They served mini-sfogliatelle at breakfast in my hotel, so I usually indulged there too. Attanasio is near the train station and very good.

Here's recent reddit thread but it focuses on sfogliatelle frolla. I much prefer riccia:
https://www.reddit.com/r/napoli/comm...zza_and_pasta/

This is pretty good reading, even if you don;t speak Italian
https://www.reddit.com/r/napoli/comm...emme_nascoste/

Have fun. I was just searching flights, hotels and restaurants in Naples because I really want to return.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Definitely riccia, didn't even know there were 2 variations. Locally I get them at Veniero's, 1 of NYC's finest.

This is first trip there but short. We'll be in Sicily for the 1st 9 nights (1st trip there as well). Only 2 nights in Naples, then a direct flght home.

I've been to Italy 4 times prior, in various areas. So much to see.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 01:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The acknowledged best pizza is Da Michele. However, it's a very subjective judgement and different people have different ideas.

https://www.anticapizzeriadamichele.co.uk/about
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 04:09 AM
J62

IMO the best sfoglietelli is the one I spy walking by a cafe when I’m in the mood - it’s an impulse treat to me. It’s not a unique item that one place will be heads above the rest.

Ditto for pizza - street food/ stand up bar / takeout window when I’m hungry and the wafting aromas hit me just right.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 08:25 AM

If you are going to Caserta, you are only a half an hour from Pepe in Grani in Palazzo,, which has been called Italy's best pizza for the last few years. I've never been there.

https://www.theworlds50best.com/disc...-in-Grani.html

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/m...st-pizza-world
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 12:46 PM

I think eks means Caiazzo. I haven't tried Pepe in Grani either, but there is amazing pizza in Caserta itself, within walking distance (according to my legs) of the train station and Reggia di Caserta, at I Masanielli di Francesco Martucci.

https://www.pizzeriaimasanielli.it/

Reservations definitely required, kind of a scene for food-trekkers outside, but once seated inside it's just a regular, low-key establishment.

I had the DOC.

Reggia di Caserta

Have a great time in Sicily, MFNYC! I haven't been in over a dozen years. It's another place I need to return to. I believe eks was there last May while I was wandering around Naples, then Puglia and Basilicata.

Last edited by Leely2; Apr 14th, 2024 at 12:50 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 11:57 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Heres some of our memorable experiences in Naples
Pizza: Di Matteo, Da Atillio, L' Antica da michele, Sorbillo
Sfogliatelle : Sfogliate e Sfogliatelle
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Masanielli looks amazing but sad part is we'll be there on a Wednesday for 11am palace tour. Masanielli is closed for lunch on Wednesdays, and planned on returning to Naples after lunch. Any other suggestions nearby Caserta Palace for lunch?

In Naples my hotel, DImora Duomo, recommeded
L' Albero Dei Viscont for pizza and Scaturchio for sfogliatelle.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by MFNYC
Masanielli looks amazing but sad part is we'll be there on a Wednesday for 11am palace tour. Masanielli is closed for lunch on Wednesdays, and planned on returning to Naples after lunch. Any other suggestions nearby Caserta Palace for lunch?
Santa Maria Capua Vetere (the descendant of the old Roman Capua) is close to Caserta has various sights worth seeing, most notably the ruins of the amphitheatre (the largest in ancient Rome before the Colosseum was built). You could go there and head back to Caserta for dinner. Mind you, you'll probably be in the Caserta palace grounds until after lunch, unless you rush through the gardens or skip them. We entered the palace at 10:30 and reached the far end of the gardens (on foot) at 2 PM, and we skipped the English garden (we stopped for lunch in the cafe next to the waterfall and didn't realise the English garden closes at 3).
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

I'm contemplating canceling the tour, just getting a ticket in advance and use their audio guide. We can get there earlier than 11 and have more time to wander.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 01:42 PM

I'm trying to remember what I did. I know it wasn't a tour. Can't remember if I got the audioguide. I was a bit rushed in the gardens, so took the shuttle to the far end and then strolled back. You'll probably enjoy whatever you have time for--it's a big site.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 02:09 PM

I haven't tried the pizza at Da Michele, but for me, it would be difficult to beat the pizza at Port d'Alba, which is supposed to be the oldest pizzeria in Naples, on the street of the same name at the southwest corner of Piazza Bellini. Yum!