Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Skip the line for Eiffel Tower and Catacombs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2024, 06:43 AM
mad
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to Paris this July and wondering the best way to visit the Eiffel Tower and the Catacombs so we don't have to stand in line forever. Do we need to book a private tour or just book on our own? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are 4 adults with no children with us.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 06:48 AM

You do not have to book tours unless you want to. You can pre-purchase tickets via their official websites.

Tour Eiffel: https://www.toureiffel.paris/en

Catacombs: https://www.catacombes.paris.fr/en

It has been a long time since I have been to the Catacombs, not sure if timed entry is necessary. I believe you have to chose a time slot for Eiffel Tower.

Edited to add: Eiffel Tower tickets are available online 60 days in advance. July is not available yet.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Mar 28th, 2024 at 06:50 AM.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 08:02 AM
P_M

I was in Paris in May 2023. May isn't nearly as busy as July, but we learned the hard way that it's best to pre-book for any major attraction. We found Paris to be a much more crowded place in this post covid world.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 11:21 AM

Make a lunch reservation at one of the two restaurants in the Eiffel Tower depending on your budget and go for it! I’ve done both. Lunch first, outside terrace views after. Much more fun that way. On the other choice, can’t help you there. I would never. The Catacombs give me the Uber creepies.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 02:26 PM

Lunch sounds fun at the Eiffel Tower. Another option is to go in the evening when the lights sparkle every hour on the hour and the lines are shorter.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 07:55 PM

I don't like going up the Eiffel Tower. It's just kind of dirty and ugly when you are in it. But if you do book tickets in advance, there isn't really a wait. There are two levels. I don't recommend booking tickets for the top level as the view is not noticeably different and then there is a wait and it get in the elevator and it's crowded and uncomfortable and just costs more.

And certainly don't go when the sparkle lights come on in the evening, that way you'll miss them. They are meant to be viewed form a distance. In general, the evening is a depressing time to go up. It's just dark and pointless. The best view of Paris is with the Eiffel Tower in the view.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 08:40 AM

yeah, I agree, I don't know why people love to go up in that tower, it doesn't appeal to me at all, but if you go up at night, the goal would be to see the lights of the buildings, I guess, not the tower itself which you can obvioulsy see plenty of times from afar if there a while.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 08:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Go up the Montparnasse tower instead -- much better view because it includes the Eiffel tower . . . and doesn't include the Montparnasse Tower

https://www.tourmontparnasse56.com
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
Go up the Montparnasse tower instead -- much better view because it includes the Eiffel tower . . . and doesn't include the Montparnasse Tower

https://www.tourmontparnasse56.com
No truer words have ever been spoken. And is probably my favorite view of the Tower.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 09:20 AM
mad
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll just skip the expensive tours then and just book in advance. I appreciate the help!