Search

Timing from landing in FCO and making a connecting flight to Sardinia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2024, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing from landing in FCO and making a connecting flight to Sardinia

Hello -

I am planning a trip to southern Italy in June for a family of five. We land at 8:30 am on June 11 in FCO. Looking to find a flight to Sardinia (OLB hopefully) how much time should we a lot for the layover to make the flight?

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 01:43 PM
J62

As long as you book a single ticket from home through to Sardinia you’ll be ok with something like 90 minutes as your bags will be checked thru to and you wont go thru customs until your destination.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Hmm, I didn't do that. I booked everyone from IAD to FCO hoping to catch a puddle jumper. So maybe allow for more time ? Or amend tickets?
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 01:57 PM

The problem with two tickets are what happens if the first flight is late? Or if either flight has a schedule change.

If all goes well three hours between should be ample. But what if things don't go well?

The safe thing is one ticket. If that's not possible spend the night in Rome. If that's not possible a long layover.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 02:05 PM

If it is not possible to follow Traveler_Nick's advice and stay in Rome (or if you cannot change your ticket), your best bet is to find a long layover (3 hours or more) and not to check your bags on your first flight and be carry-on only. This will eliminate the need to go baggage claim upon arrival in Rome.

Keep in mind that your ticket onto your next destination may have baggage limitations that might be different from your original flight. Sometimes those limitations may require you to check your bag on this second flight, which you would also need to allow yourself enough time for.

Personally, I'd call your airline and see what the change fee might be to put it all on one ticket. That fee might save you 1) a hotel stay in Rome or 2)the stress and hassle of having to deal with another carrier/baggage and so on.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your quick informative replies, I just called airline (United) and changed flights so that we won't run into this issue. Appreciate it!