Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last week of May in Sardinia? Lake Como? Bari? Sicily??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2024, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, my boyfriend and I are planning a 1 week trip to Italy for the last week of May. We are in our 20s and working with a low to mid level travel budget (think AirBnBs and breakfast at home to leave ample budget for at least two $$$ meals). I have been to Europe several times, this is boyfriend's second time. I've also been to Rome, Venice, Tuscany, and Sorrento. We don't want to be moving around like crazy so are looking to spend 1 week at a home base with the ability to do ~2 day trips. A mix of history/sightseeing/relaxation is preferred. We can both get by with conversational Italian but know this won't apply to several options below. We love good food. We're finding it hard to choose between:
  • Lake Como
  • Puglia - home base TBD
  • Sardinia
  • Sicily
Would love to hear your recommendations on which of the 4 options would be a good destination based on our age, budget flexibility, and trip ideals. Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 10:03 PM

Hi Emmy,

Sounds like you have some great choices! Sicily would give you Siracusa with Ortigia and easy access to the baroque town of Ragusa or Noto.

People also love Varenna on Lake Como. You could visit the other little towns then make your way to Verona, Bergamo or all the way to Venice. Milan has so much to see as well and could easily be combined with Lake Como.

Happy Planning!
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 07:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You could easily spend a week at Lake Como without a car and use the ferry and occasional bus (perhaps one day to Lugano). Not renting a car would help keep you within budget.

I'm not as familiar with the extent/frequency of public transportation in the other locations you mention. You should investigate and choose the most advantageous base location to maximize your sightseeing options. Also check your arrival and departure routes to see how much of your limited time will be eaten up just getting to and from your base. For example, journeys to and from Puglia and Sardinia would likely involve connecting in Naples or Rome, so you might need/want to spend the last night near the Naples/Rome airport to eliminate the risk of missing your flight home....
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 11:37 AM

Last week of May is a good time to travel for weather, few crowds and low/mid season prices.
Looking at your criteria I would eliminate Lake Como because it's the most expensive destination and also the riskiest weather wise.
If you want beach/sea time as a priority I'd definitely choose Sardinia, best beaches and sea. Flying into Cagliari which is an interesting city in its own right would allow you to reach beaches such as Chia/Villasimius by bus.
Anywhere in Sicily would fit your requirements, likely to be slightly busier than Puglia/Sardinia.
Bari or anywhere on the east coast of Puglia would be a good base because you can use the excellent train service and don't need to rent a car. Lots to see and do but a beach handy if you want to relax. Puglia end May is also likely to be the cheapest of the options because the season doesn't get going until June.
Trani is one of my favourite places, great atmosphere and movida in the evenings as well, people come up from Bari.
I travel on a low budget too. Sicily and Puglia are the best options for great food at reasonable prices.
https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspo...ove-trani.html