Solo - Madeira or Puglia ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some opinions on solo travelling without a car in these locations. July or August. I have travelled before alone and feel quite comfortable. I love nature (gardens and short hikes) and art and history. I know both these places have lots of both but I would love to hear others' experiences travelling solo.

I have tagged this Italy but I know Madeira is Portugal.

Thanks for any input

Last edited by kelsey22; Mar 3rd, 2024 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added information
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 10:54 AM

If you've already travelled solo, I'm not sure what info you're looking for, but I am going solo to Puglia in June without a car. Train and bus connections are good. I do plan to hire a driver out of Lecce to do a day trip to several places in one day (if I can get them to answer my emails!)

This is my first time to Puglia, but I have travelled solo all over Italy without a car (as well as Paris, London, Ireland, Spain, Greece, the Czech Republic) and have had wonderful trips. Italy is my favorite place. When it's a matter of going solo or not going, the choice for me is easy! In my mind, there are two big advantages of travelling solo:
1. You can do whatever you want whenever you want to do it without worrying about someone else's goals/desires.
2. People are much more likely to talk to you when you're alone.
Hope you have a great trip!
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 11:10 AM

Not sure what exactly you're asking, either. "Experiences solo travel" can mean so many things. Generally, solo travel to an area and planning for it is the same as planning for 2 people or more. Or are you asking about safety?

Like Susan, I am also planning Puglia solo without a car for October and includes Campania (Amalfi Coast, Naples).

I've traveled to Italy solo twice: Rome, Bologna Milan in one trip, and to Venice and Verona as part of a month-long trip that included Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, and Bosnia. Have also done solo trips to Prague, Iceland, and Scotland.

Perhaps clarify what you are looking for. In meantime, there are a lot of trip reports where other fodorites have gone solo, in many regions, maybe even to Puglia and Madeira; perhaps they may show up in a keyword search of the forum?

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Mar 3rd, 2024 at 11:12 AM. Reason: I Can't spell!
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Puglia. Search for studenttobe's and Ger's reports. Both visited solo without hiring a car. It will be busy and likely very hot in July/August. If you want to hike, make sure you bring plenty of water and set out early.

[I went solo last May but rented a car. Super easy to drive in this region, FWIW.]

I've never been to Madeira.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 11:12 AM

Puglia is fantastic but July and August will be from hot to extremely hot, busy and expensive
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I am hanging onto that information for now for a later trip.