Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling by myself to Madrid. Any suggestions for eating out solo & solo sightseeing?

Search

Traveling by myself to Madrid. Any suggestions for eating out solo & solo sightseeing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Carla

Found an incredible rate from my city to Madrid; could not passed it. It'll be my first time traveling solo. Staying at the Atlantico/Gran Via for a week. <BR> <BR>PLEASE suggestions for solo traveling? I'd been to Madrid before. Would love to return to Toledo, Segovia. Any recs on tour companies? Also, would it be ackward to eat solo? Any advice for a female?

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 08:16 AM
C

Carla - <BR>I recently spent a week alone in Edinburgh and thoroughly enjoyed it. My suggestion when going to eat, find a small restaurant and try and eat a little earlier or later and beat the crowds. I found that the staff often treated me better when I was alone - very talkative and gave great advice on nearby places to see. I also found that it's nice to bring along a crossword puzzle magazine or book so that I had something to keep occupied with while waiting for my food. I also stopped a few times at lunch and bought a salad or sandwich at a deli and went and ate in the park. Gives you an opportunity to sit outside and unwind. Don't miss the opportunity to travel just because eating alone seems ackward at first. Have fun!

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Carla

C, your advice is so encouraging and it is much appreciated.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Kavey

If you go any one day excursions or guided walks you may also meet other travellers and be able to dine with them... but it is also sometimes a pleasure to dine alone, with a great book, savouring the food, enjoying the view or ambience, and talking to any friendly staff or fellow diners nearby... <BR> <BR>My only solo trips these days are work trips abroad but I got used to eating alone and even to enjoy it in my solo days... <BR> <BR>Hope you have a lovely trip... <BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 11:36 AM
CarolA

I did Madrid solo last year. I had no problems. I really don't have any special solo hints, but I felt safe in Madrid and the people were very friendly. I did sit at a small cafe outside the Opera one night and had a GREAT people watching experience. The beer was expensive, but I saw what appeared to be the UPPER CRUST of Madrid society! <BR> <BR>I did have any trouble eating solo. I wound up at one place where the solo man at the table next to me dug out his map and suggested places for me to visit. He was an older businessman and appeared to have no "other motives" than just being friendly. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Carla

You have no idea how comforting is to read your encouraging words <BR> <BR>Anybody has any tips for good tour companies in Madrid?

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Helpful

I don't have any personal recommendations on tour companies but can offer a website that I've found helpful: <BR> <BR>http://www.madridman.com <BR> <BR>You also might want to check out another website: <BR> <BR>http://www.ricksteves.com <BR> <BR>He has something called the 'grafitti wall' where people leave messages pro and con on a variety of topics. <BR> <BR>Have a great time in Madrid and the other cities you've chosen, Carla. I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit. A big advantage of traveling solo is that you can do just want YOU want at YOUR schedule. That can be blissful! <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Elaine

I am 56 and although I am married and have already raised my family, I never mind traveling alone. Did it 1st from NYC to Buenes Aires when 18, to the Orkney Islands off the north coast of Scotland, Montreal, all over Europe and lots of times to NYC (since I live in Pa.). Often I figure I am my own best traveling companion because nobody likes to do what I like better than me. Sometimes I read travel brocures & maps or take notes before/during a meal. I like to take a seat at a window or at least facing the crowd in the restaurant. There are lots of visuals that way to keep me occupied & sometimes I'm so busy watching the world go by that I do no reading. Sometimes I carry a notebook that makes me appear like a business person which is when I jot down an occasional note. I will sit at the bar in a pub if it is a busy place....again lots to get my attention. If the place is quiet but has a nice atmosphere, I'll find a table and avoid the bar. <BR>My youngest daughter (30) who is single said she'd never go in a place alone 'cause she doesn't want to look like she is on the make. I found that very interesting and possibly one of the biggest reasons I'm able to successfully travel solo. I'm secure enough to not worry about how it looks.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Carol

Hi Carla, <BR> <BR>Especially since Madrilenos love to begin dinner late (9-10 pm), you won't have any problems, especially if you eat around 7:30-8:00. You'll find lots of friendly Americans in the restaurants at that time. Eating tapas for dinner is another early alternative, and everyone in a tapas bar is also friendly.