Grand Canyon, Saguaro NP, Petrified Forest NP, Antelope Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2024, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip for this summer. I have read past threads. Looking for suggestions on tour operators for Antelope Canyon. Has anyone been since they stopped allowing bags of all kinds? Upper or Lower Canyon tour preference - why? Number of days suggested for each park? Favorite lodging, restaurants and places to visit? Thank you!

Last edited by wheretheroadtakesus; Feb 24th, 2024 at 02:42 PM.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 03:29 PM
J62

Originally Posted by wheretheroadtakesus
Planning a trip for this summer. I have read past threads. Looking for suggestions on tour operators for Antelope Canyon. Has anyone been since they stopped allowing bags of all kinds? Upper or Lower Canyon tour preference - why? Number of days suggested for each park? Favorite lodging, restaurants and places to visit? Thank you!
GC: if only visiting the South rim area, 2 days is ok. If you plan to hike far below the rim then more. An overnight stay at Phantom Ranch, add more day. Depends on what you plan or want to do.

Saguaro. Half to one day. Lots to see and do elsewhere in the Tucson area. Dont forget Sedona, between GC and Tucson

Petrified Forest. Its worth a few hours at most if you happen to be driving by I dont find it worth a detour or a long drive, period.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 04:29 PM

I believe that there is only one tour operator for the upper canyon. Reservations are a must.

I agree with J26 that the Petrified Forest is not worth a destination just a drive by if you happen to be in the area.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 24th, 2024 at 04:31 PM.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

I found this post after starting this thread. Helpful comparison of Antelope Canyon options.

https://unearththevoyage.com/upper-v...telope-canyon/
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 05:56 AM

To get the full experience, try to stay in one of the great historic lodges at the South Rim. Also, when at Antelope Canyon you will be only two hours from Monument Valley Tribal Park which has stunning scenery with sandstone geological formations from 400 to 1,000 feet high.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 06:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You know that there are two Saguaro NPs, west and east?
I prefer the western one as it is adj to Tucson Coty Patk so more to see.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 07:57 PM
yk

We did lower antelope canyon tour last June, not sure what else you want to know. You aren't allowed to bring any bags with you, we only brought water bottles and our cellphones, my brother visited canyon X last Fall.

we just finished visiting Tucson area last week and visited both sides of saguaro NP.

if you click on my screen name you can find my TR on antelope canyon (plus Zion, Bryce, GC N rim) from last June. I’m currently typing my TR on Tucson which will cover saguaro NP.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 06:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Saguaro. Half to one day. Lots to see and do elsewhere in the Tucson area. Don't forget Sedona, between GC and Tucson

Petrified Forest. Its worth a few hours at most if you happen to be driving by I don't find it worth a detour or a long drive, period.

If you do drive east to Petrified Forest, be sure to stop in Winslow Arizona for a picture standing next to the statue of Glen Frey "Standin' on the Corner in Winslow Arizona". There is a little restaurant in the old bank building across the street. The town's jewelry store is in the vault. Another thing you might want to visit west of Winslow is the meteor crater.
As for Saguaro, save it for last if you are flying in/out of Phoenix if you have lots of time before your flight out.
My favorites in Flagstaff are the Lowell Observatory and the Riordon mansion State Park. South of Sedona is the little town of Cornville AZ which has the Manzanita restaurant which has genuine German cuisine and a few wild game dishes.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by tomfuller
If you do drive east to Petrified Forest, be sure to stop in Winslow Arizona for a picture standing next to the statue of Glen Frey "Standin' on the Corner in Winslow Arizona". There is a little restaurant in the old bank building across the street. The town's jewelry store is in the vault. Another thing you might want to visit west of Winslow is the meteor crater.
If you get to Winslow also visit the La Posada Hotel, one of Mary Coulter's designs.

Old Feb 27th, 2024, 08:39 AM

La Posada Hotel

Originally Posted by tomfuller
If you get to Winslow also visit the La Posada Hotel, one of Mary Coulter's designs.

Old Feb 28th, 2024, 07:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mdstump
My favorite Mary Coulter design is the Desert View tower in the east end of the Grand Canyon.