Driving in South Florida

Search

Driving in South Florida

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2024, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in South Florida

Coming from California, what do I need to know about driving in Florida? Especially around Fort Lauderdale / Everglades. Traffic lights look smaller and horizontal. Any different rules (written or unwritten)?
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 11:39 AM
J62

Originally Posted by traveler_t
Coming from California, what do I need to know about driving in Florida? Especially around Fort Lauderdale / Everglades. Traffic lights look smaller and horizontal. Any different rules (written or unwritten)?
You will encounter a lot of drivers from the northeast, states like MA,NJ,NY, as well as Canada. Compared to CA drivers they all tend to be much more courteous and patient, so don’t expect them to run through red lights or hurry to grab a parking spot. And Northeast drivers now Floridians rarely use their horns. Many, however may want to talk-to-you in what may seem like a loud voice, but that’s simply a cultural norm. The words Hey Buddy mean how are you my friend. Some also speak fluent french sign language and they may roll down their window so you can clearly see their hand signals.

Older retiree drivers are a whole different story. Many are very cautious and stay safely below the speed limit.
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 04:52 AM

I have a different take. You will encounter a lot of drivers from Latin America and will see many of the worst drivers in the USA. I can recall 2 instances of drivers driving on the shoulder of the interstates in Miami at 70 MPH when the main lanes were completely stopped.

Can't forget this. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=814828028880537

There are some toll roads that are cashless. Don't envy your trip.
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 06:04 AM
J62

I believe this is a George Carlin quote..."Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

Old Feb 5th, 2024, 06:22 AM

Most of the Everglades are sawgrass. Find out where the bald cypress trees are and go there.
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 05:34 PM

The highways have tolls. You need a pass or you could get stuck in horrific traffic. Take the express lanes whenever you can to avoid getting stuck and spending extra hours wishing you were smart enough to know better.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 02:22 AM

Especially in Orlando for the tolls.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 12:03 PM

Definitely have your EZpass up to date. On a 4-lane highway, we saw a guy go from the leftmost lane to the rightmost to exit...he didn't signal or appear to be looking. Drive carefully... no matter what state it is.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 06:20 AM

I think they use something called Sun Pass in South Florida. On rental cars, it is done by license plate, so not a device to keep in your car like EZ Pass.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelemm
I think they use something called Sun Pass in South Florida. On rental cars, it is done by license plate, so not a device to keep in your car like EZ Pass.
I read that they recently started honoring E-ZPass in Florida as well
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 11:21 AM

EZ Pass for I-95 and Sun Pass for the Florida Turnpike We drive frequently in South Florida and I've probably witnessed more accidents in Florida than probably anyplace else that I've driven. The local nightly news is filled with accident reports and coverage. There is quite a lot of traffic all the time it seems so plan accordingly when and where you are going. The drive from Miami to Key West is much longer than you think it will be and less scenic than you might expect it to be.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Current information:

"If you have an E-ZPass, there is no need to purchase a SunPass PRO. You can now use your E-ZPass to travel on toll roads in Florida"