Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving South from Michigan to Florida and Back in Feb/Mar...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and 2 small dogs are considering driving south from Michigan...we don't want to just drive to Florida and stay for a month..would rather meander and stay a week here and there. We will end up in Islamorada for a week and then head back. Any suggestions on must sees/stays? We would like to get a flavor for something new, having been all over Florida many times. We are in our 60's, active, love the beaches but not concrete and high rises!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Gasparilla Island? Cedar Key? It's hard to give you something new, considering you've been "all over Florida" without some direction from you as to where, or the types of places, you've already been. Both those are less traveled though. Anna Maria Island used to be less traveled, but now found. Have you done that yet?
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

No...we did a quick trip thru Charleston and Savannah on our way down...probably would consider taking more time to see more "local" stuff. Lots of planning required.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Neopolitan

Your comment about beaches, but not concrete and high rises, makes me think you must rent a week on Sanibel Island.

Cedar Key or Gasparilla Island are good ideas too, but Cedar Key is much cooler that time of year than anything south of Tampa.

I also got a little confused with your question. Are you also looking for lengthier stops on your way TO Florida, or just after you get to Florida? I'd suggest a stop of a day or two at Callaway Gardens in Georgia (if the dogs are allowed), but prefarable on your way back when the gardens should be wonderful.

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

We want lengthier stops on our way to and from...with Islamorada midway...thanks...