Where to stay in Paris

Search

Where to stay in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2024, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Paris

Hi, I will be in Paris for 5 nights, do you recommend a hotel or vacation rental? which area is the best to stay in. I'm traveling with my hubby, we are from San Francisco so used to busy, and this is our first time to Paris. We are traveling alone. We want to see all the normal sites, eat at great restaurants, and take maybe a day trip someone via train. We don't need full luxury, but really don't want to spend more than $400 a night, thank you for your help.
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 04:23 PM

When are you travelling? Paris will be super expensive this year because of the Olympics, and it is having a knock-on effect to other places in Europe (even Brussels). So you may have to a) pay a bit more and b) book quickly as there is lots of competition for vacancies.

I don't know the silver bullet for this but you could also take into account some of the outlying suburbs or towns like Versailles just so you have done your due diligence (plus Versailles is interesting and has the palace).

Lavandula
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 04:41 PM

Ooh, I just saw you are travelling in October and the paralympics finishes 8 September. So there will still be the tail-end of mass tourism but the heat of it will have died down. I still recommend you investigate Versailles, but perhaps as a day trip

Lavandula
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New city, new country, little time. Don't burden yourself with figuring out a rental and all that goes with it on your own. A hotel will have your back if anything goes wrong with the room, or you need a doctor, or want a restaurant reservation or a cab, and so forth.
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 08:24 PM

I’ve stayed in the upper Marais for many trips to Paris. We’ve stayed in hotels and quite a few rentals. Great restaurants very close and walkable to the 11st which is full of great spots.
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 10:22 PM

I also recommend a hotel for your first visit, ideally in a central location. If you do a search here, you can read trip reports of where people have recently stayed.
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Our travel dates are October 17th through November 8th.

Arrive in London October 18 (hotel in SOHO area)
depart London October 24
arrive in Bruges October 24 (need accommodations)
depart Bruges October 26
Arrive in Paris October 26 (need accommodations)
depart Paris October 31
Embarkation 7 night Paris to Normandy cruise
Disembarkation November 7th (possibly hotel near Charles Airport)
fly back to San Francisco November 8th
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 05:30 AM

Bruges: Guesthouse No. 11 in the historic center along the canal - just look at the pictures on websites. Ideal location. Had largest attic room, beautiful decor, large bath, outdoor garden. terrace Very quiet, as only taxis manage to sneak past to it. (Will suggest brew pubs later on, including oldest from 1515.)
Paris: Always stay in 6th arr near Jardins du Luxembourg for sheer convenience and sights. Rooms at Hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg lovely but rooms (like many in Paris) very small, on cul-de-sac so again very quiet, but super convenient to RER B (direct from CDG airport) and Metros there. Right near Pantheon, Latin Qtr, along Blvd St Germain etc. Favorite restaurant to reserve ahead around the corner: Les Papilles.
Since you're taking a cruise up to Normandy, you're likely to have stop at Versailles, so I'd stick to touring in Arr. 1-8 and those you want to see the most. Arr. 6th & 7th our faves.
CDG: We love the super techie and convenient Citizen M Hotel which flanks one of the terminals at CDG. Price is right, and restaurant in side. Everything controlled by your very own iPad.
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Wow Aliced, thank you for all this great information, I have already looked up Guesthouse No. 11 and am ready to book. I was also looking in the same area for Paris, Arr. 6th. I'm super excited!! thank you for your response.
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 07:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We usually stay in the 6th too but sometimes in the 5th. Enjoy your time in Paris.
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Happy!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 09:48 AM

We just stayed at Hotel Clement in the 6th and really liked it, especially the price. It has a small elevator and A/C.

Right now the largest room Oct. 26- 31, is 975 euros for 5 nights. Not huge but satisfactory. And this price lets you treat yourself in other areas. It doesn't have extras, I missed having a coffee pot. Breakfast with extensive choices and a hot boiled egg to your liking is 12 euros. But there are many of quick options nearby.

We have tried to stay here before and it has always been sold out, now we know why. Clean, great quiet location, plenty of restaurants nearby and a market around the corner for wine, snacks, and pastries, etc.
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Coral, I'm going to check that you... I am new to this site and I'm amazed at how nice and knowledgeable everyone is, thank you for taking the time to look up the prices for me, so sweet and kind, have a great day.
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Macdogmom!!!
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 02:41 PM

Hi- I agree that St Germain (6eme) is a good area to stay in if it's your first trip to Paris. I recommend checking out Hotel Angleterre. It was formerly the British Embassy in the 19th (18th?) century, so the rooms tend to be larger than other left bank hotels. I have stayed at Hotel Verneuil several times over the years. The rooms are small, but it's a charming hotel on a quiet street off Rue St. Peres. There are so many good, small hotels to choose from.

Wendy

Old Jan 26th, 2024, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Wendy, I checked it out, it looks amazing, it is now on my list for maybe's, thank you so much.