Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 different airlines to Europe - Possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2024, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a week in Iceland and a week in Europe.
To do so, I plan on purchasing Delta tickets to Iceland and EasyJet tickets to Europe.
The Iceland portion of the trip is on the backend.

Question:

1. Since these are two SEPARATE tickets on two separate airlines, is a 3 hr. layover in Iceland long enough to land in Iceland and switch reservations to another airline?
2. Will I have to go through customs and then recheck in with the EasyJet counter if I only have carry-on luggage?
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 05:37 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Having been through the chaos that is Reykjavik on a few occasions, I personally wouldn't risk it.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Oh wow, I would have thought Reykjavik would be rather laid back ... thanks for the information.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it not possible to book the entire ticket on Delta and/or one of their partner airlines?

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...yteam-benefits
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Jean,
Yes but I'm using miles to get to Iceland (much cheaper) and then buying cheap tickets on EasyJet to Europe...enjoying both along the way.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 04:34 PM

This kind of booking is do-able but there are risks. If the first flight is delayed, the second flight on a different ticket / airline is all your responsibility. If you miss it you'll have to buy a new ticket. You'll need extra time between flights to manage your luggage too. You'll have to pick it up, clear customs and immigration, check in for your second flight, then go through security to board. Question is, do you feel lucky?
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 04:42 PM
mjs

I am not sure I understand. You are planning a week in Iceland than you have a 3 hour layover to go to the continent? Possibly you are using the 3 hour layover on the way back?
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 06:55 PM

It's not just delays to worry about. Flight schedules get changed.

The safe thing is to build in at least an overnight.

Personally I'd think about a triangle .

Book a multi city flight. Delta into Iceland. Home from some place else you want to go.

Easyjet or whoever from Iceland after your stay.

This means three flights instead of four. You don't lose a day flying back to Iceland. Even if the multicity is more expensive the total might not be. You save the second flight back to Iceland.
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies!
I love the triangle idea except that I get free tickets into Iceland and not Europe, thus the four legs instead of three. And my prices rise significantly the moment I delay a day or two because the cheaper prices are at the beginning of the week. Ultimately though, the array of obstacles would probably make the higher prices worth the risk factor. MichGuy really summed it up in a nutshell, "how lucky do you feel"
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 05:20 AM

I still like the idea of a three flight, multi-city ticket best. So much cleaner from a ticketing standpoint and often pays for itself in reduced hotel costs. Note that all three legs would have to be on one carrier to get the best pricing. Otherwise you'd be booking a one way fare for one of the legs.

You want to use Delta FF miles, OK. If Delta can't do a leg from Iceland to Europe or vice versa, book your open jaw / multi city on Delta: US to Iceland then Europe to US. Then buy a one way ticket on Easyjet.

How do you get a free ticket to Iceland but not Europe? I don't understand.
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 06:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"How do you get a free ticket to Iceland but not Europe? I don't understand."

On awardwallet.com's "unofficial" Delta award chart, Iceland has a different redemption award level for first class. But is first class the only way to get to Iceland on Delta?

https://awardwallet.com/blog/unoffic...rt-flights-us/
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 07:55 AM

You will definitely need to read up on EasyJet T&Cs, and their carry on luggage allowance if you do this.
Budget airlines make their money from be stingy and strict on their rules.
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Not sure about an "award" chart because I thought those were long since gone?
While most cities run around the same mileage pricing, it seems more dependent on the price of the tickets and demand now more than a flat pricing system.
Regardless, I was able to find basic economy mileage from my hometown to Iceland for 60,000 points while it's well over 100k to anywhere else in Europe.
I have run into the Easyjet baggage issue which tacks on more than the actual fare itself .... so right now I am scouting out the triangle concept with a one -way easyjet instead of a round trip.
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 06:36 AM

When is this trip and where are you coming from?
We have had incredible luck with Flying Blue which includes Delta, KLM, and Air France. You would have to join and then transfer your miles in. With miles, you can do one ways. Twice we have gotten Paris to Houston nonstops for 25,000 miles. A nonstop from Amsterdam would also be a possibility, and Delta flights are also listed. We have also gotten flights within Europe on Air France. It is definitely a game you have to play with options, but we have always found something.