ferry vancouver island to orcas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2024, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there currently any way of getting from vancouver island to orcus island via ferry with trailer in tow? we are doing an rv trip from southern california in june/july for several weeks. stopping in north cascades, then had hopes of doing the following:
drive/ferry to Lund - camp
Drive Lund to Powell - ferry to Comox (Vancouver Island) - camp several nights around the island
Vancouver Island to Orcas Island for camping on Orcas - **this is where I can't find any options and need help. (is there a ferry from VAncouver Island to Friday Harbor?)
Orcas Island to Friday Harbor - camp
Friday Harbor to Port Angeles ferry
continuing on to our trip towards home from there
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 06:54 AM

The short answer is, the only option is Victoria to Port Angeles via the Coho ferry and onward from there.

Well, there is another option of using the BC ferry system from Vancouver Island back to the mainland and then working your way around through Puget Sound on the WA State ferries, but that is a long convoluted route.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 07:30 AM

It should also be pointed out, travelling with BC Ferries to Lund (two ferries) and over to Vancouver Island (one ferry), can be problematic. Mechanical, crewing and weather issues can cause delays and/or cancellations. Vehicle reservations are essential.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 07:39 AM

And for Friday Harbor, you want San Juan Island, not Orcas Island.
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 08:57 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Washington State ferries has no current plans to reestablish ferry service between Vancouver Island and the San Juans.
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 11:11 AM

Correct, Gardyloo, they have officially stated no return of the Sidney to Anacortes route until at least 2030.

I had speculated FRS (Clipper) might look at putting a RO RO on that route, but with the global economy in the ditch, I now doubt that would happen either. The Sidney port is in good shape and sitting unused, but I doubt WSF would allow a private company to use its facilities.

In the meantime, the grand old Coho will continue to break waves between Port Angeles and Victoria.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 10:22 AM

First, understand that Vancouver Island is CANADA, and the San Juan Islands (Friday Harbor, Orcas, Lopez) are US. There is no access (direct or otherwise) from Canada to the San Juans except by Washington State Ferry system from Anacortes, WA. You can do this, but you would need to return to Vancouver BC, drive south into Washington, take WA20 west for 45 minutes to Anacortes and get on a ferry there. Ferries make a trek thru the islands, but the schedule will specify whether you can do to San Juan (Friday Harbor) or to Orcas, or both. Summer schedules not out until end of February.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by bjordan49
First, understand that Vancouver Island is CANADA, and the San Juan Islands (Friday Harbor, Orcas, Lopez) are US. There is no access (direct or otherwise) from Canada to the San Juans except by Washington State Ferry system from Anacortes, WA. You can do this, but you would need to return to Vancouver BC, drive south into Washington, take WA20 west for 45 minutes to Anacortes and get on a ferry there. Ferries make a trek thru the islands, but the schedule will specify whether you can do to San Juan (Friday Harbor) or to Orcas, or both. Summer schedules not out until end of February.
bjordan49, the OP is travelling from SOCAL, up through BC and back, so it’s safe to assume they know there are two countries involved.

Travelling from Victoria to Friday harbor via the BC mainland and a land border to get to Friday Harbor is not the only way. Taking the Coho ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles and onward is shorter and there is no potential for a lengthy delay at the border.

Not applicable here, but there is also a direct water taxi from Sidney BC to Friday Harbor WA.

Old Jan 27th, 2024, 11:59 AM

Thanks for that. As residents of Whidbey Island, we travel these routes frequently, making the decision of the dreary drive to Port Angeles to the Coho, or Tsawwassen to catch BC Ferries. Personally I prefer the latter as I find the Coho cold and uncomfortable, lacking amenities, and a more difficult boarding process for a person who is mobility challenged. We do grieve the loss of our boat from Anacortes to Sidney, and hope it will return before 2030. Only the rocket scientists at WSF know.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 12:17 PM

You live in a great spot, bjordan49. I always enjoy time on Whidbey Island by land or water. I also use the Coho and Clipper regularly for Seattle ball games.