Florida traffic on Presidents Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2023, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In February on Presidents Day we will need to get from Fort Lauderdale to Disneyworld with two kids. Our options are driving or Brightline train. Anyone knows how much traffic is expected that day? I cannot trust google maps since it shows regular workday traffic pattern. Also is there any attraction to stop along the way that would be interesting for a 5yo, 7yo? We most likely go out of Fort Lauderdale but also plan to visit Everglades in the morning so might go directly from there if easier. thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 03:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do I have this straight -- you are thinking of traveling from Ft Lauderdale to Everglades Nat'l Park, spending half a day exploring there, and then drive to DW? That seems super human to me . . .

Old Dec 30th, 2023, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

You mean this is not a good idea? it seems going to Shark Valley from Ft Lauderdale is about 1 hour drive each way, and with kids we'll probably do there one or two activities at most (airboat and tram). so this will be half day. Of course we would get to DW by late evening but we will not do anything there that day, the park day will be the next day. I am worried about too much driving so we consider to take the train to Orlando instead but wanted some data points on the traffic to make final decision.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 03:00 AM
J62

I see no reason for traffic to be worse on the afternoon of Presidents day compared to any other weekday.

If anything, it would be less with some % of regular commuters off the road at rush hour.

If you want less driving, get rid of the drive to Shark Valley. As I stated on one of your other threads the thought of subjecting kids that age to a tram ride seems sub human. If you want to do an airboat ride, pick one closer to Fort Lauderdale. One can go crazy reading internet reviews and getting hung up on "best". Only you can decide if an airboat ride at Shark Valley is really worth the 2 extra hours of driving with your kids.... I know what my answer would be....

Last edited by J62; Dec 31st, 2023 at 03:08 AM.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 06:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
As a train enthusiast, I think that a train ride for a 5 and 7 year old would be more interesting than traveling in a car to get a ride on any type of boat. Considering the hassles of driving to and parking at DW, taking the train beats a rental car hands down. With 16 round trips per day with a brand new train set between Orlando and Miami, this is the best news in passenger rail since Amtrak started in 1971.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 10:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
The Brighline train does not go to DW, it goes to the airport..
Unless you plan to hitchhike, take a bus or a taxi , you will end up getting a car anyway.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 10:47 AM
J62

Originally Posted by cdnyul
The Brighline train does not go to DW, it goes to the airport..
Unless you plan to hitchhike, take a bus or a taxi , you will end up getting a car anyway.
.... details.....