Search

Seeking Advice for a Spare Night in Florida Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2023, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking Advice for a Spare Night in Florida Trip

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Florida at the end of this year, spanning from December to January, for a total of 9 nights. My itinerary includes 5 nights in South Beach at the beginning and 3 nights in Key West towards the end. However, I have one spare night and I'm seeking advice on where to spend it.

I'm considering either exploring a different part of Miami to balance beach time in South Beach with some urban exploration and sightseeing, or staying somewhere entirely new, perhaps on the outskirts of Miami or en route to Key West.

I'd love to hear your suggestions or experiences, especially if you've been to areas that offer a unique or contrasting experience to South Beach and Key West. Any recommendations for specific neighborhoods, towns, or attractions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 06:35 AM

Are you flying into Miami and out of Key West, ringingup? Driving?
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TDudette
Are you flying into Miami and out of Key West, ringingup? Driving?
Flying into Miami, driving to Key West and then driving back to Miami to fly back to the UK.
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 08:11 AM

We broke up a trip in April to Key West that was an add-on to a weekend wedding in downtown Miami with one night in Islamorada. You could alternatively do one night in Key Largo so the drive back to Miami Airport is not as long and you wouldn't worry too much about a major delay because of an accident trying up traffic on the way back. The morning we drove from Key West to Islamorada featured a torrential downpour with some flooding so a slow-go until we got to Marathon
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 01:08 PM

Flying home from Miami, I would consider doing Key West at the beginning and Miami at the end, but it would depend somewhat on flight times.
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Madam397
We broke up a trip in April to Key West that was an add-on to a weekend wedding in downtown Miami with one night in Islamorada. You could alternatively do one night in Key Largo so the drive back to Miami Airport is not as long and you wouldn't worry too much about a major delay because of an accident trying up traffic on the way back. The morning we drove from Key West to Islamorada featured a torrential downpour with some flooding so a slow-go until we got to Marathon
Yes, staying one night in Key Largo is probably your best bet. It is the most scenic key and closer to the airport.
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments so far.

Just to clarify the last night will be in Key West with a flight out of Miami in the late evening.
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 09:47 AM

I am not a Florida expert (nor do I care much for it) but no one is answering your initial question. Miami neighborhoods: avoid north of the airport, south brings you to a posh areas like Coconut Grove and Coral Gables, is that what you are looking for? For a safer city neighborhood that’s not posh browse in Google Streetview east and SE of the airport, you may find a walkable interesting area with lodging.

Adding that you should expect long sleeve shirt weather or possibly jacket weather, and don’t expect beach weather, end of Dec.