Paris dinner cruise…which one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2023, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

We have been on many Seine River cruises during the day in Paris through the years.

Considering a dinner cruise in December. Why? Just because!
That said, which is the best choice from those of you who have done this? Price is open, would be glad to pay more for a better experience.
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We really enjoyed a dinner cruise in 2019 on Bateaux Parisiens. Scroll to posts #47 and #48 in my trip report for a description and some pictures (including a pic of the menu). We did the 8:30 Premier Service and had a lot of fun.

Paris, Chartres, Champagne Country and Giverny 2019

https://www.bateauxparisiens.com/en/...er-cruise.html

Last edited by john183; Oct 11th, 2023 at 04:46 PM.
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 04:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't taken this one but one of my good friends took her son and daughter-in-law for a pre wedding celebration and loved it. Quite pricey but she gushed about it for weeks afterwards

https://www.ducasse-seine.com/en/the-cuisine
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

john183….I enjoyed reading your trip report and thanks for the dinner cruise suggestion, I’ll check it out. Just the info I was looking for. My last visit to Paris was in Oct-Nov 2019 just after you were there. Not great weather and no Christmas lights, but still fun. In 2018 we did December and loved the Christmas delights of the city

December isn’t the best weather for river cruising but it still sounds like a good idea.

janisj….thanks for the suggestion. That looks like a beautiful ship and a good dining experience. Definitely in consideration

Old Oct 13th, 2023, 01:18 PM

I never paid for a dinner cruise myself but I was "invited" three times by my office over the years as long as I chatted up the invited travel agents. My impression was that the food was never great, but the cruise through Paris at night is still magical. So frankly, I would never want to pay for a dinner cruise myself, but it is always nice to take a Seine cruise after dark. You can bring your own refreshments and snacks without paying a fortune. Naturally, December can indeed be chilly (and maybe even rainy).
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 05:07 PM

Paris, Chartres, Champagne Country and Giverny 2019

Don’t mean to hijack your query TPAYT, want to thank john183 for posting the above link just in time! My son and I leave for a week in Paris soon and have planned to include a day trip to Chartres. Good TR reading with loads of Chartres helpful info within is greatly appreciated along with the bateauxparisiens link which we plan to save for a future trip.
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 08:48 PM

We found the dinner cruise that we took to be underwhelming in food terms (although the wine flowed too freely). I suggest an evening cruise followed by a good meal ashore.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 11:41 AM

TPAYT and travelchat - Thanks. It was an unexpected trip to Paris and we had a great time. Hope you both have as much fun as we did.

Underhill - I'm curious which company and what level of service you had on the dinner cruise you took. The champagne and wine they served on our dinner cruise was exactly what was advertised. To be honest I was not expecting much but the whole experience was a lot of fun. kerouac is right, cruising through Paris at night is magical.
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 08:18 AM

There was no problem with the Champagne and wine, just too much of it!
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 07:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally wouldn't do one of the 'regular' dinner cruises like the Bateaux Parisiens (did one once when I was young and dumb and did enjoy it but realized on later trips that better food for less €€ on shore). But for a really special occasion one of the high end / limited passenger ones like the Alain Ducasse version I'd be tempted. Twenty-one Micheline stars is nothing to sneeze at
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
. But for a really special occasion one of the high end / limited passenger ones like the Alain Ducasse version I'd be tempted. Twenty-one Micheline stars is nothing to sneeze at
I tried it a few years ago and I was pleasantly surprised.
However beware it is not the real Ducasse experience.
Like so many brands (fashion,...), chefs have implemented sub brands.