Best place to visit in Cumbria, UK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2023, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to visit Cumbria, Uk in next month. Could any one suggest the best place to visit there?
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 03:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Will you have a car? How many days and where in Cumbria are you staying?
Old Oct 9th, 2023, 02:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cumbria is a fairly large county taking in the Lake District and some spectacular scenery. Be aware that British summertime will have ended and the days will be getting shorter in terms of daylight. As janisj asks, where are you staying and what do you enjoy doing? Is this a business or leisure trip? A car would be very useful.
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I have a car. I want to visit Alston to see one of my old friend too.
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by despalerzo
I am going to visit Cumbria, Uk in next month. Could any one suggest the best place to visit there?
Yes, I have a car. I want to visit Alston to see one of my old friend too.
We don't really charge by the word here . The more information you give us up front the better advice we can give. How many days will you be in Cumbria/NW England? What sorts of things do you enjoy/want to see? Where are you staying?

Alston is a very small place (less the 1500 people) but is in a scenic location in the Pennines. Without yet knowing how many days you have or where you are staying, some nearby sites would include Lanercost Priory, Hadrian's Wall, the northern parts of the Lake District (tons of options), and the Solway Coast.
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
We don't really charge by the word here . The more information you give us up front the better advice we can give. How many days will you be in Cumbria/NW England? What sorts of things do you enjoy/want to see? Where are you staying?
Fodors may not charge by the word but does A.I. ❓
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 12:12 PM

I don't think the OP is AI -- most of those we get are wordy beyond beyond
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

I want to stay in Cumbria for 5 days. I have to visit Alston to see one of my friends (I think just one day). For the other days, I don’t know where to stay (whether in Alston or somewhere else). That’s why I asked here. I want to do outdoor activities like cycling, walking and hiking. But I don’t have a bicycle, so I have to find a place to rent one.
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

What do you mean by this: “Fodors may not charge by the word but does A.I. ❓”? I think it is not fair to say something like that to someone who is not a native speaker and doesn’t know English as well as you and is new to this platform.
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 08:18 AM

Cumbria is a beautiful area. If you have 5 days I might consider staying 2 nights in or just north of Alston - not just because your friend is there but because there a wonderful sites within a 30 minute drive, Say you stayed in Haltwhistle?? You'd be 30 mins from Alston but also very close to many parts of Hadrian's Wall . . . walking distance from some sections. And less than 20 minute drive from Lanercost Priory.

Then I'd move south west into the Lake District and stay 3 nights in one of the larger towns (Keswick, Windermere, Kendal or somewhere like that). All are on lakes and are large enough to have bike rentals and other services. You options for riding, hiking and boating would be limitless. Wonderful scenery
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 08:38 AM

What do you mean by this: “Fodors may not charge by the word but does A.I. ❓”? I think it is not fair to say something like that to someone who is not a native speaker and doesn’t know English as well as you and is new to this platform.
You’re right - I apologize.
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 08:47 AM

Sorry -- we were being silly. As I mentioned on your other thread don't worry about your English. You are doing very well. AI is short for Artificial Intelligence. Fodors (and most on-line forums) are often hit by 'fake' posts where people are just playing around with AI / ChatGPT. No one actually thougt you were AI
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Really thanks for your suggestion, I will search about Haltwhistle
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

You are welcome
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 04:56 AM

How sporty a cyclist are you? I have entirely too vivid memories of some 15% grades in the Lake District: terrifying to descend, gruelling to ascend. But if you are quite fit and the weather cooperates, the views are marvellous.

But also another vote for hiking a stretch of Hadrian’s Wall.
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 01:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keswick is on Derwentwater, while Kendal is a 10 mile drive away from Windermere.. Having been to the Lake District many times, for a short stay I'd go to Lake Windermere and choose from Ambleside, Windermere Village or Bowness. Lots of choice of guest houses, hotels at various prices and restaurants across the price range. Bike hire in Ambleside, Windermere and Bowness, boat trips from all of those. November will be a lot more quiet except on a good weekend weatherwise. Smaller villages may well be too quiet.

Last edited by Rubicund; Oct 16th, 2023 at 02:01 AM.