Search

Planning getaway

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2023, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning getaway

My BF just announced that we must get away after New Year to Carribeans or something…
I want to impress him with my ‘connections’ to people who knows! You!

We both aren’t opposed to cruising. However he is paying and I want to be mindful and I want to help with best deals and score the points if you know what I mean…

We also would fly if there are deals and he doesn’t know I am chiming in so it is not an issue HOWEVER like I said I want to score…lol

Help
Old Sep 26th, 2023, 05:53 PM

Have you been to the Caribbean before? How experienced are you? Are you looking to do a lot of activities or chill on the beach? Do you seek quiet and seclusion or nightlife and lots of restaurants? Do you have a total budget in mind? Number of days available?

Have you cruised before? Cruisecritic.com is a good resource for reviews of ships and cruises, etc. vacationstogo is an excellent website for seeing just about every cruise that is available, including itineraries, costs, ships, cabins, amenities, etc. Do some reading so you see the actual costs, including tips, cabin choices, excursions, etc. Look at some of the departure ports and ports to visit. Usually, you would fly to a port the night before the cruise, so your current location might influence your choices.

There are a dozen or so very experienced cruisers here on Fodors and people who used to live in the islands. All could answer more specific questions.

Our first trip to the Caribbean was to the Southern Caribbean in January, flying into San Juan and catching the cruise from there. We visited a different island everyday. It was absolutely glorious! Our second trip was to St Kitts, just relaxing on the beach, going out at night, hanging out at the hotel pool. It was also fabulous. Different islands, different vibes, wide range of prices. You have many options. What would you enjoy?
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Have you been to the Caribbean before? How experienced are you? Are you looking to do a lot of activities or chill on the beach? Do you seek quiet and seclusion or nightlife and lots of restaurants? Do you have a total budget in mind? Number of days available?

Have you cruised before? Cruisecritic.com is a good resource for reviews of ships and cruises, etc. vacationstogo is an excellent website for seeing just about every cruise that is available, including itineraries, costs, ships, cabins, amenities, etc. Do some reading so you see the actual costs, including tips, cabin choices, excursions, etc. Look at some of the departure ports and ports to visit. Usually, you would fly to a port the night before the cruise, so your current location might influence your choices.

There are a dozen or so very experienced cruisers here on Fodors and people who used to live in the islands. All could answer more specific questions.

Our first trip to the Caribbean was to the Southern Caribbean in January, flying into San Juan and catching the cruise from there. We visited a different island everyday. It was absolutely glorious! Our second trip was to St Kitts, just relaxing on the beach, going out at night, hanging out at the hotel pool. It was also fabulous. Different islands, different vibes, wide range of prices. You have many options. What would you enjoy?
We have cruised before. We went to Caribbeans and it is got to be pure leisure and nothing but…
We are over 55 and having intense daily lives so when we run away - it is to do NOTHING! Lol

At this point what’s important is…some quick last minute deal getaway. It doesn’t even matter where. As long as there is a beach and departure port. We are in Philadelphia. I need to research but I am out of this for so long that cruise sites scaring me! It’s too many options. Too messy.

I am sorry, I don’t want anyone to do my job for me looking for best deals - however IF you know sites that are easier to deal with - please throw them at me. Also if there are places for cruises like hotwire for hotels…maybe.

thanks and happy travels
Old Sep 29th, 2023, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you feel overwhelmed, perhaps you should contact a travel agent. They will ask your interests and find places that meet your requirements. They will also book everything for you.
Old Sep 29th, 2023, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schmerl
Since you feel overwhelmed, perhaps you should contact a travel agent. They will ask your interests and find places that meet your requirements. They will also book everything for you.
Thank you! I thought about it however I want sure if travel agents exist anymore. I appreciate your info and IF you know where to find the travel agent (reliable and knowledgeable) - just throw it my way.
happy travels!
Old Sep 29th, 2023, 10:18 AM

We've used Global Travel Destinations (Global Travel Destinations - Your Destination for Travel ) to plan several trips, both land and cruises, for us with excellent results.
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see you are in Philadelphia. I live in a Phila suburb.
I've used a travel agent from that area. She is very knowledgeable about the Caribbean, etc.
Daniel Bieros DelloBuono from Preferred Travel

(610) 539-5556

[email protected]

Www.preferredtravel.com

Last edited by schmerl; Sep 30th, 2023 at 06:12 AM.
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 10:22 AM

https://www.facebook.com/rob.pittelli

The above is a cruise agent who is very helpful. I have not had him book for me, but have connected with him several times and find him to be knowledgeable and helpful. He travels a lot! You can search his Facebook page.

a few ideas and websites to check out:
Cheap Caribbean, just to give you ideas of packages at resorts. You can then book directly.
Travel Zoo, for last minute and selected trips and itineraries.

Many people enjoy Mexico as much as the islands. There are a couple of experts on Fodors who go frequently to Puerto Vallarta.
I like Cozumel.
Consider Costa Rico too.

From Philadelphia, you have direct flights to many islands.
With cruises, I think the vacationstogo is the easiest to navigate. Just plug in a few parameters and then look for costs of balcony, not just inside or suites. When evaluating costs for cruises, don’t forget cost of excursions if you want any, tips and a hotel the night before the cruise. Never fly into port the day of the cruise!!!
Also consider costs of Flights. Right now, you have cheap, direct flights to Puerto Rico, where some good cruises depart to the Southern Caribbean.
Some ports are easier to deal with than others, and (in winter) you would likely want to depart from someplace in Florida, Texas or Puerto Rico so your whole vacation would be sunny. You may have to choose between ports you will enjoy versus small or large ships, newer or older ships, etc.

Tampa is a great departure port - if there are any cruises or ships that appeal to you. I like the smaller, older ships, so it works for us.

I don’t enjoy some of the big, new ships because they are noisy, but they do offer more entertainment and food options, so would not exclude one that has a good price and itinerary.

If it seems overwhelming, go to vacationstogo. Put a date in with a narrow window, say Jan 2024 - Feb 2024. Put a departure port of Tampa and see what ships and itineraries pop up. There will be only 3 - 5 ships (I know there is Carnival Paradise and Carnival Pride, medium sized ships, often shorter cruises, but both OK for a relaxing getaway). Each ship usually repeats an itinerary. Look at the itinerary and picture and info on the ships.

Then do the same for Puerto Rico. There will likely be only 3-5 ships (haven’t double checked that though), so once you look at each, you will be pretty knowledgeable.

https://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=18290
I think this would be a great cruise. I like RCCL, and I love the itinerary because it goes to some absolutely beautiful islands. The San Juan airport is easy to navigate. Cheap, direct flight from Philadelphia.

When I find three or four cruises I like, I print them out (extra paper, I know), but I can lay them out side by side, make notes and compare more easily.

Oh, though I have used Vacationstogo to book cruises, it is just a booking site and may not be able to give the best personal advice about ships, itineraries, etc., I think you might be better off finding what you want and booking directly with the cruise line, airlines, etc.,if that is possible. OTOH, a good agent does have contacts and can work with hotels, airlines, etc.

Hope this helps. I see you travel a good bit, so this will be easier than it seems at first.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Sep 30th, 2023 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Mistakes
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I want to send my gratitude to all of the members who responded. You never fail. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Delayed Appreciation

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
https://www.facebook.com/rob.pittelli

The above is a cruise agent who is very helpful. I have not had him book for me, but have connected with him several times and find him to be knowledgeable and helpful. He travels a lot! You can search his Facebook page.

a few ideas and websites to check out:
Cheap Caribbean, just to give you ideas of packages at resorts. You can then book directly.
Travel Zoo, for last minute and selected trips and itineraries.

Many people enjoy Mexico as much as the islands. There are a couple of experts on Fodors who go frequently to Puerto Vallarta.
I like Cozumel.
Consider Costa Rico too.

From Philadelphia, you have direct flights to many islands.
With cruises, I think the vacationstogo is the easiest to navigate. Just plug in a few parameters and then look for costs of balcony, not just inside or suites. When evaluating costs for cruises, don’t forget cost of excursions if you want any, tips and a hotel the night before the cruise. Never fly into port the day of the cruise!!!
Also consider costs of Flights. Right now, you have cheap, direct flights to Puerto Rico, where some good cruises depart to the Southern Caribbean.
Some ports are easier to deal with than others, and (in winter) you would likely want to depart from someplace in Florida, Texas or Puerto Rico so your whole vacation would be sunny. You may have to choose between ports you will enjoy versus small or large ships, newer or older ships, etc.

Tampa is a great departure port - if there are any cruises or ships that appeal to you. I like the smaller, older ships, so it works for us.

I don’t enjoy some of the big, new ships because they are noisy, but they do offer more entertainment and food options, so would not exclude one that has a good price and itinerary.

If it seems overwhelming, go to vacationstogo. Put a date in with a narrow window, say Jan 2024 - Feb 2024. Put a departure port of Tampa and see what ships and itineraries pop up. There will be only 3 - 5 ships (I know there is Carnival Paradise and Carnival Pride, medium sized ships, often shorter cruises, but both OK for a relaxing getaway). Each ship usually repeats an itinerary. Look at the itinerary and picture and info on the ships.

Then do the same for Puerto Rico. There will likely be only 3-5 ships (haven’t double checked that though), so once you look at each, you will be pretty knowledgeable.

https://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=18290
I think this would be a great cruise. I like RCCL, and I love the itinerary because it goes to some absolutely beautiful islands. The San Juan airport is easy to navigate. Cheap, direct flight from Philadelphia.

When I find three or four cruises I like, I print them out (extra paper, I know), but I can lay them out side by side, make notes and compare more easily.

Oh, though I have used Vacationstogo to book cruises, it is just a booking site and may not be able to give the best personal advice about ships, itineraries, etc., I think you might be better off finding what you want and booking directly with the cruise line, airlines, etc.,if that is possible. OTOH, a good agent does have contacts and can work with hotels, airlines, etc.

Hope this helps. I see you travel a good bit, so this will be easier than it seems at first.
I am ready to follow your advises. Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 07:57 PM

https://www.vacationstogo.com/ticker...=0&n=0&d=0&v=0

Keep in mind that cruise costs go up during Christmas holidays and over New Years, as do flights. If you can take off a couple of weeks later, it will be cheaper. However, I have always thought it would be fun to spend New Years Eve on a cruise, so might be worth it.

A caution. MSC ships are beautiful and the food is good. However, they sometimes have kids cruise free with parents and one trip we were on, the ship was packed with kiddies. Unfortunately, they were totally out of control and parents followed no rules. There were babies in the hot tubs. It spoiled a good bit of the cruise for us.

Another thing to look for on a few newer big ships like the NCL Escape. The whole pool/sports complex/kids outdoor water area is all together on one deck and sound is amped up, plus just the sound of so many people and kids in the water and the sound of the water is super loud. It is nicer on ships that have it divided between multiple locations.