Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Safari Groups in Africa - My first international travel!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2023, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, my first post, excited to start planning for a safari and was hoping to see if anyone knew the best way to go about doing a safari in Africa. I don't really care where but I will be traveling alone and going for 8-10 days total (with travel) and figure it is best to maybe travel with a small group? I did some research and it appears there are a ton of options but I get nervous when there are that many options with no reviews because the last thing I want is to get to Africa and it be a horrible experience or a scam. So the main thing I am looking for is experience or getting pushed in the right direction to do more research. Here are some parameters: I looked at things like Giraffe Manor for instance but I know there are a ton of other places.

-Traveling alone but prefer a group I can tag along with
-10 days max which include travel
-Flying from Atlanta, GA
-Cost is not much of an issue but of course that doesn't mean I want to just throw money away, still needs to make sense
-Look for incredible views or unique experiences at a resort for a few days and some off the beaten path things for some other days. Emphasis on unique experiences, things that I can talk about for a lifetime.
-Animal interaction, I do want to see them but I want a lot of interaction as well if possible.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Last edited by pharmdfsu; Sep 18th, 2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 10:18 AM

Topping -- interested in the same info

Just topping this in case any Fodorites would give this general advice from their experiences.
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 11:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. There are several real Africa Safari/solo travel experts on here so hopefully some of them will see your topic.
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 11:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I posted the below earlier this year in response to a similar question. I've been on 6 safaris and about to go on my 7th. I've gone with friends twice and otherwise alone. I would never recommend going with a group of strangers because it is very hard to meet everyone's needs/expectations and also you have to deal with the grumpy person who doesn't like to get up early for sunrise! I've been to Kenya 5 times, and Tanzania and Rwanda once. Some of my trip reports are on here if you click my name.

Instead, I have a safari planner plan my custom itinerary and at these camps I meet other travelers for group meals and usually share a vehicle with another couple or another solo traveler. I find the groups do not book into the private conservancies in Kenya, which to me are the best of game viewing and comfort safari. A really good safari planner will know what experiences (hot air balloon, hikes, cultural experiences) to book for you that may tick that box for you. But rest assured, "just" going out on game drives, seeing animals in their natural, unfenced habitat, is pretty mind blowing. I never know what I'm going to see each time I go, and I always come back with very unique sightings to tell people about.

To your point about animal interaction, other than the giraffe center and Giraffe Manor and the daily visit at Sheldricks Wildlife Trust (elephant orphanage) in Nairobi, interaction is limited. I would seriously question any experience that encourages interaction because in most cases it is unethical and unsafe for the animal. You can do any number of animal interaction experiences in zoos at home, including at Atlanta Zoo! Interactions with wild animals is obviously not a great idea. On game drives you will get extremely close to a whole lot of wild animals, but not to the point where you'll "interact".

_________ Here's my previous post ______
I just booked my 7th safari with Expert Africa with whom I'm working for a second time (they booked my February 2023 safari for me also). For Tanzania, I used Access2Tanzania, who were wonderful, I just haven't been back to TZ. For Rwanda I used Treks2Rwanda (the sister company to Access2Tanzania) and they were also wonderful. For both of them, they hire their own guides, own their own vehicles on the ground in Africa, so they know who you'll have as a guide and match you personality-wise to the right one. For Kenya, I'd recommend Expert Africa (obviously!), Wild Source or Africa Travel Resource. Others here will suggest Gamewatchers (they did my first Kenyan safari but I didn't have the same stellar results others have).

To help you focus a bit, and to help you help a tour operator or safari planner pick the best safari for you, I think you need to figure out a few things:

1) Your budget (excluding international flights) -- know that this is all inclusive usually, but for the tips. I take very little spending money with me as it's just tipping local staff. Sticker shock usually hits until you realize this is all meals, all entertainment, all transfers, all room and board for the entire trip. You will be picked up the second you land at your destination and accompanied every step of the way through your itinerary.

2) Days on the ground available and the time of year you can go (excluding travel time to/from Africa) -- migrations, rainy seasons, high seasons, all factor into overall costs and when it's best to go to certain areas.

3) Your interests -- Big cats? Elephants? Reptiles? Gorillas? Birds? Beach time? Mountain treks? Village visits? Natural wonders like the Ngorongoro Crater? Some areas/countries are better than others for certain wildlife. If you're not interested in elephants, I wouldn't suggest Amboseli or Tsavo for you, but until you identify any particular interests, it'll be hard to point you in the right direction.

4) Lodging types -- do you need soaker tubs and swimming pools? Do you want to stay in tents in the bush (with beds and full bathrooms)? Dome tents and sleeping rolls? Do you need electricity/wifi/ solid walls? Are you comfortable with bucket showers and gravity toilets (porcelain bowls that flush into the ground)? Do you want to be right out in the bush with the possibility of animals being in camp day and night or does that make you nervous?

5) Transport -- know that to get to some safari locations far from larger cities, it is necessary to take small (10-20 seater) bush planes. Driving is sometimes possible, but can take days on unpaved and rough roads. To maximize your time out watching animals, it's expeditious to fly, although that does add expense.

That should get you started! We're always happy to help here though! Please don't hesitate to shout.
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 09:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Some of my trip reports are on here if you click my name."

Just a quick comment -- see this thread: https://www.fodors.com/community/for...purge-1718108/

Apparently during the last site maintenance tech did an oopsie and broke our profile pages. A max of only 3 Trip Reports display on anyone's profiles. They say it will be fixed on Oct 31 . . . fingers crossed.

Old Oct 20th, 2023, 07:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by janisj
"Some of my trip reports are on here if you click my name."

Just a quick comment -- see this thread: https://www.fodors.com/community/for...purge-1718108/

Apparently during the last site maintenance tech did an oopsie and broke our profile pages. A max of only 3 Trip Reports display on anyone's profiles. They say it will be fixed on Oct 31 . . . fingers crossed.
Thankfully my last two safari TR are showing. They could be useful to the OP if they return to this thread.
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 04:23 PM

If you decide to visit southern Africa, which for a first safari trip would probably focus on south Africa, I can recommend this travel planner. Liesl Matthews has planned about 5 trips for me to this area, and about 15 or so for friends of mine, 3 of whom are there right now. No one I have recommended Liesl to has ever been less than very pleased.

This is the agency; I also have several trip reports on Fodor's about the result of her planning, no only to SA, but also to Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe. She is a delight, as are all members of her team, and we get together when she visits my city in the USA every year or so.... You may begin your trip alone but I can assure you that you will not feel lonely! They are with you every step of the way, within an easy phone call; their base is in CapeTown.

https://www.southerndestinations.com/

But first you need to choose: East Africa or Southern Africa. (??) If East, Amy is a gem!!!

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Oct 21st, 2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 06:04 PM

Excited for you! No matter what you pick, you will enjoy your safari. But due diligence and research will help ensure your safari is a fabulous one and ticks all the boxes for you. A few thoughts - I picked South Africa for my first safari because it's the most westernized country on the continent and I felt it would be a good start. (I knew I would make my way back to Africa eventually.) For the second safari (Sept. 2023), I picked Tanzania - east Africa is the birthplace of safari and I wanted to see a different landscape. I debated between Kenya and Tanzania and ultimately, went with the latter because of the sheer size of the national parks. Ngorongoro was also high on my list of places to see.
Happy researching!