Search

Flight help please USA to Johannesburg

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2023, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight help please USA to Johannesburg

Aloha!
I’ll be traveling from Hawaii to Johannesburg (final destination Botswana) 5/2024 and getting dizzy looking at flights so was hoping someone could offer suggestions? I can get to anywhere Hawaiian Air flies to on the mainland with miles (San Fran, LAX, NY, etc) but need advice on best route from mainland to JNB. Last trip was easy from NY to JNB direct on South African Airways, but looks like that’s not an option any longer.
Appreciate any and all advice from you seasoned travelers!
Cheers!
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 06:05 PM

I dont' know if it's best but look at Virgin Atlantic. I know they fly LAX to JNB and JFK to JNB.
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 07:43 PM

I believe you can fly nonstop from EWR and ATL.
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 07:09 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Newark (United) and Atlanta (Delta) are the only US gateways with nonstop service to Joburg. Hawaiian flies to JFK, so you'd have to transfer from JFK to EWR to use United's nonstop flight. Hawaiian doesn't fly to Atlanta, so that would turn into a 2-stop trip.

However, Hawaiian also flies the other way, to Sydney, from which Qantas flies nonstop to Joburg six days a week. The overall distance flown on HNL-SYD-JNB is actually over 1000 miles less than HNL-JFK/EWR-JNB, and in May the coach airfare is generally comparable or a little less than EWR-JNB. The shorter distance would be useful on the way back, as you'd have strong tailwinds, shortening flight time.

I'd definitely be looking at laying over in the connection city in either case since you'd be traveling on separate tickets. Sydney has numerous affordable hotels close to, or in one case, inside of the airport, unlike the situation at JFK.

I've been on the Qantas flights (QF 63/64) a couple of times (in business class, mind) but like the United flights from Newark they're operated with 787 equipment, which is better suited for longhaul flights because of the higher cabin air pressure, making for a less exhausting experience.

Maybe worth investigating.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Sep 12th, 2023 at 07:23 AM.
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 01:08 PM

When you fly to JNB on Virgin Atlantic, you layover in Heathrow, the shortest layover is about 2 1/2 hours. You stay in transit. If you can make that combination, probably just about the same time as it would take you to get over to EWR. The flight from JFK is on a 787-9 and gets in at 10:25 AM. Worked out quite well for me. Personally I like to be able to stretch my legs a bit on those long flights since I don't fly First or Business Class. Best flights might also depend on when you arrive in JFK.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 12th, 2023 at 01:28 PM.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

That’s a great thought and much preferred route….I’ll check it out…mahalo!
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

I really like the idea of heading the other way, Gardyloo…will check into it….thanks so much!
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 03:44 AM

I love Sydney! If that were my layover city I would be tempted to stay a few days.
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

A huge mahalo to all of you who have shared your expertise and suggestions…much appreciated!
I entertained the thought of a long layover in a place I’d like to explore, but have decided to go with what my travel partners want and take United all the way from Honolulu to JNB. It’ll be exhausting but at least it takes the worry out of the logistics. Aloha!
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 10:26 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by live_aloha
A huge mahalo to all of you who have shared your expertise and suggestions…much appreciated!
I entertained the thought of a long layover in a place I’d like to explore, but have decided to go with what my travel partners want and take United all the way from Honolulu to JNB. It’ll be exhausting but at least it takes the worry out of the logistics. Aloha!
You're welcome. Safe travels.

Question: How often do you travel to SA or Botswana? How about to Asia or Europe? I tend to be a broken record on these things, but if you travel internationally often enough you might want to have a look at round-the-world tickets as a possible means of extending your range of options, hitting some bucket list destinations, or saving money, or ideally all of the above.

These products - sold by member airlines of the two biggest alliances, Star Alliance and Oneworld, aren't that well known, and the rules and limitations can seem a little off-putting at first, but they do have their benefits for global travelers.

Rather than go into all the details here, I'll reference a thread I posted a few years ago on the Air Travel board. Most of what it says is still valid. Here's the link: Round-the-world and multi-continent airfares - Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (fodors.com)

Again, good luck and happy travels!