Are there still mask mandates in Egypt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2023, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m an American. I was planning a trip to Egypt, but I absolutely can’t and won’t wear masks, it is medically absolutely out of the question for me and I won’t even consider it. The last three years were hell for me in the USA. So if I have to wear them, I just won’t go.

However, I’m having difficulty finding recent online information about this. The EgypAir website says that they are still required in airports and domestic airlines, but I don’t know if that is true or if that is now out-of-date?

So I would like to hear from anyone who has been in Egypt recently. Do you need to wear them in stores, public transportation, aircraft, museums, souks, or anywhere I’d want to go? I don’t care about medical facilities, I plan to stay out of those! But if they are required in any public venues where I would want to be, I just won’t go to Egypt!

Last edited by Robert1951; Sep 16th, 2023 at 05:19 AM.
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 11:00 AM

I just tried to do a bit of research on this and it looks like masks are still required in public places such as museums and airports. Per the US Embassy page (last updated May 2023:
  • Individuals who do not adhere to precautionary measures such as wearing a mask indoors may be subject to an immediate fine or prosecution.
https://eg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...19-information
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 03:07 PM

I have friends that are an agent right now and she has posted multiple pictures. No where do I see anyone wearing a mask and this includes not only outdoor tourist sites but restaurants in other places indoors.

There’s even one with several people, dancing and kind of close quarters at a restaurant, and no one had a mask on. I will ask her.
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by jacketwatch
I have friends that are an agent right now and she has posted multiple pictures. No where do I see anyone wearing a mask and this includes not only outdoor tourist sites but restaurants in other places indoors.

There’s even one with several people, dancing and kind of close quarters at a restaurant, and no one had a mask on. I will ask her.
My friend said mask wearing was apparently not required. This was the practice she saw. Other sources I looked up noted wearing masks in “some” public places is required.

Again actually she saw no enforcement of mask wearing.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Sep 18th, 2023 at 02:18 AM.
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 03:03 AM

We send quite a lot of people to visit Egypt from Eilat and as far as we know, no masks are needed anywhere.
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 10:40 AM

We were there in November last year and I saw no one wearing masks, not even in the airports.

However, covid is still out there and, in following several of the on line travel groups, there are reports of people who contracted it.