Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accommodation in Catania, Ortigia/Siracusa, Panzano and Bologna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2023, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks - we're planning our 25th wedding anniversary trip to Italy in the last half of September and these are all cities we want to stay in. Any suggestions on places to stay would be appreciated.

We want to be able to walk to places in the city as we won't have a car. We want something relatively quiet, and good internet access is mandatory as we'll be working while travelling. We want to be able to walk to places in the city as we won't have a car. We want something relatively quiet, and good internet access is mandatory as we'll be working while travelling. We need a shower of course, with a bathtub as well if possible, and I wouldn't normally specify this but after reading a few surprising reviews of different places, I feel have to mention we need a private bathroom with direct access from our room (not down the hall). We have a strong preference for a king size bed but a queen size could work, or perhaps even a large double bed. We don't need a kitchen but a coffee maker is always welcome! We have a strong preference for a king size bed but a queen size could work, or perhaps even a large double bed. We don't need a kitchen but a coffee maker is always welcome!

A smaller, more boutique independent hotel or apartment would be a good fit for us, as we're not fond of large chains when we're travelling for pleasure. We like fashion, architecture and history so we'd like a place with style, and we appreciate the offbeat. An on-site restaurant is optional. We're likely to ask for help with tours, etc. as well.

Thanks in advance for your help - R.

Last edited by Rooster99; Aug 5th, 2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been years, but in Ortigia we liked Palazzo del Sale. Great service, excellent breakfast, elevator (if you need it). charming, good style.

In Bologna, I have stayed a few times at Hotel Corona d'Oro and it is a lovely, traditional hotel. Excellent location.

In both cases, I would contact the hotel directly about the bed size and any other needs. Both properties feature extremely helpful personnel.
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 08:33 PM

I second Hotel Corona d’Oro in Bologna. We stayed there in May 2022 and really liked the rooms and location. Unfortunately, when we looked into staying there in May 2023 the rates had doubled. Not sure if this was due to an event in town or just increased prices. We instead stayed at Hotel Padrini which was about a 10 minute walk to the center of town. Not as upscale as Corona d’Oro but we liked it very much.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 08:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
And here's a third vote for the Corona D'Oro in Bologna! When I stayed there in Jan '19 it was €750 for a week in a single room with an excellent breakfast which for the position and level of comfort and service seemed reasonable to me, especially as it was just round the corner from the language school I was attending. No bath tub but an excellent en suite bathroom with walk in shower which I prefer. If you can get a reasonable rate there I would snap it up.

In a similar vein the hotel Livingstone that we stayed in in Ortigia was of the same quality - very comfortable, good service, great position. https://www.hotellivingston.com

Sorry I can't help with your other 2 destinations.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 05:18 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Art Hotel Novecento in Bologna had the best location you could ask for. We parked in an adjacent building. More of a business hotel but great breakfasts. Ristorante da Giorgio is right behind it!
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 10:01 AM

We were happy with the Hotel Roma in Siracusa. The location right around the corner from the main square was very convenient and we enjoyed dining outside for breakfast. In Bologna, we found the Art Hotel Orologio to also be well located and enjoyed the extensive breakfast selections. Both hotels were comfortable and we would happily return.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 11:27 AM

In Ortigia I really enjoyed Henry's House Hotel https://www.hotelhenryshouse.com/en/. Well located (we booked a room with a terrace overlooking the sea). It's a small boutique hotel with lots of modern arty and folk art touches; great breakfast; quiet (at least our room was); and a lovely, helpful staff. There was also a terrace for all of the B&B guests that had great views. The bathroom had a small drainage issue, which the hotel addressed quickly. I don't have recs in the other locations you noted (have only stayed in unremarkable Airbnbs in Bologna), but I'm saving the tips here for future reference.