Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is Egypt still safe (with economic & Sudan refugee crises)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2023, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have seen older posts saying that Egypt is generally safe for tourists, but I am wondering if the situation has changed in the last month or so. In light of the deepening economic crisis/devaluation of the currency, and the recent chaotic flow of Sudanese refugees into Egypt, is it safe to travel as a solo female in Egypt now? Has anyone been in Egypt in the last month or so?

I am planning to fly to Luxor. Will take tours of Luxor and Dendera, then take travel 3-4 hrs to Safaga port to catch my cruise. Will probably take another tour when the cruise stops in Sharm el Sheik. The cruise eventually returns to Sokhna. After disembarking, we will need to take a transfer to Cairo.

Does anyone have any suggestions for reliable tour companies or transfer companies for the above places? I am especially concerned about the Luxor to Safaga transfer since I will be alone and it will take 3.5 hrs to 4hrs for the transfer; would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Old Jun 18th, 2023, 05:11 PM

I’m not seeing any reports of instability due to the Sudanese refugees arrival or because of the money devaluation. I’m not there so can’t speak definitely but tourist travel doesn’t seem to be noticeably impacted. And this is my impression only, but tourism is such an important part of the economy that I’d feel pretty confident that safety would be ensured as much as possible.

I worked with a local agency, Djed, that’s been around for a long time. Overall, they did an excellent job of orchestrating our recent trip (I’ve got a trip report covering our trip in the fall of 2022) although I did have problems with communication with them. But our guide in Luxor, Mohamed Sayed Eldaw, has started up his own business and he is connected enough throughout Egypt to organize drivers and guides. At least one person on the board, carrom, used him and was very happy with his services. He is a lovely man and I believe he’d be an excellent person to contact.

Old Sep 30th, 2023, 08:33 PM

Is Egypt still safe?

Reconsider travel to Egypt due to terrorism. Exercise increased caution in Egypt due to the Embassy's limited ability to assist dual national U.S.-Egyptian citizens who are arrested or detained. Do not travel to: The Sinai Peninsula (with the exception of travel to Sharm El-Sheikh by air) due to terrorism. I live in qatar for long time. If you are highly interested in qatar, then visit.