Best way to get to Yellowstone with rv

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2023, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling from rapid city to Yellowstone, 30 ft Rv. How steep are roads to the north entrance, stay one night there then onto west entrance, rent a car in west Yellowstone for remainder of the trip. Help with route, any helpful tips suggestions. Is the loop from north entrance difficult with Rv. Seen a post about road from rapid to north entrance is steep, is this true?
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 06:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello and welcome to Fodor's! The driving distance from Rapid City to Gardiner MT is 486 miles which is a full 8 hours with a 30 foot RV. I would advise not going any farther than Livingston MT from Rapid City. You might even want to make a stop at the Little Bighorn National Monument or maybe Devils Tower.
At the south end of the town of Gardiner MT is the Roosevelt Arch which is the north entrance to Yellowstone. The road between Gardiner and Mammoth was washed out in several places last year when there was a rapid snow melt. The newly repaired road is not really steep but has many curves which require you to go slow. Is the plan to spend a night in the RV at Mammoth before heading to West Yellowstone?
Do not even think about going into Yellowstone through the Northeast gate on US 212. That highway is steep and has many switchbacks to gain elevation.
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your helpful info. Are plans are pretty in the air, I know crunch time to get a campground but we still trying to figure it out. I have to refresh my memory where mammoth is. We went to yellow stone about 30 yrs ago but can’t recall. Anyway prob try to stay at campground outside of tge north entrance the first night, then drive the loop towards the west entrance and spend the night in west Yellowstone, thinking of maybe renting a car for the next days adventure into and around Yellowstone. From your experience is this plan doable?
not familiar with posting g on forums so don’t know how to direct reply. Ha. No computer wiz here
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 11:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you are coming from the east, you could come into Yellowstone via Cody Wyoming using US 14. If you can't get a camping spot in Yellowstone, you may get one at Buffalo Bill State Park outside Cody.
You can click on someone's name on the left to get the drop down menu to send someone a personal message.