Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

One way cruise from Boston to Montreal. What is best way to get back to US?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My in-laws have arranged a cruise this summer that starts in Boston and ends in Montreal for themselves and the families of their 3 adult children. Our family is from Seattle, so we plan to fly into Boston and fly back home from Montreal to avoid the hassles. However, the others (5 adults, 2 kids) will need to figure out a way to get from Montreal to Boston again. What is the best way to do this? Car rental, bus, train,fly, or a mix? I am wondering if there are huge surcharges for renting a car in Canada and dropping off in the USA too. Thank you!
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, we did it the other way - Montreal to Boston, really enjoyed the cruise and several land tours.
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 03:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would assume flying as trains are not available at this time. . We have been able to bring rental cars from Canada to US to drop off but not the other way around. Perhaps the cruise line has deals for returning to Boston for passengers to take advantage of .
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 07:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Amtrak is working with federal agencies in both countries to resume service on the Adirondack from Montreal to New York Penn station in "early 2022". "more details to come". Check the Amtrak website sometime in late April or early May for the plan to resume the Adirondack and the Maple Leaf (from Toronto). They should plan on flying out of a New York airport instead of Boston.