Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Seattle to Vancouver. What's the best way to spend brief non-cruise time and get to Vancouver cruise port?

Seattle to Vancouver. What's the best way to spend brief non-cruise time and get to Vancouver cruise port?

Mar 5th, 2000, 04:21 PM
Shane

Here's one I can use some advice on. I am arriving Seattle airport 12:03 P.M. on a Saturday. My Princess cruise leaves out of Vancouver the next day (Sunday). It boards at 1 P.M. and returns to Vancouver the following Sunday at 7 A.M. My plane leaves Seattle that Sunday evening at 9:50 P.M. So I have a little time to kill and a couple of places to be on both ends. Keeping in mind I'm really there for the cruise, which areas would you choose to spend your one afternoon and night at the beginning and one day at the end? When and how would you go from Seattle to the Princess port in Vancouver? This is actually a rather complex question because we can't carry our bags everywhere sightseeing, I assume car rental is too expensive since we would have one way drop-off in each direction and it may not be close to the pier. We have to spend the night somewhere convenient to some combination of transportation, the port, and the things we can do. What should I do to have these things go smoothly? Thanks.

Shane

Mar 6th, 2000, 01:01 AM
April

It would be simpler to just fly direct to Vancouver. Barring that it would still be more efficient to fly between Seattle and Vancouver.

Mar 6th, 2000, 08:41 AM
sheri

I would second that advice (which also agrees with advice you got on the US forum). Flying between Seattle and Vancouver is going to be the most efficient way of getting to your cruise and back and still having some time to enjoy yourself. There's plenty to keep you busy in Vancouver for an evening and a morning before your cruise and for the morning after your cruise. Anywhere you stay in downtown Vancouver is going to be a short cab ride from the cruise terminal (the Pan Pacific and the CP Waterfront Centre are both right there, although I personally think the Pan Pacific is overrated and too expensive). I would imagine that Princess has a desk at the terminal that would keep your luggage for you on the Sunday you return but you should probably double check that with them.

Mar 6th, 2000, 05:21 PM
shane

Thanks for the advice but Delta has no First Class Frequent Flyers going to Vancouver. That's why I ended up in Seattle in the first place. Personally, I find ground transportation preferable for anything under a 4 hour drive. I'm just curious to find out the most non-intrusive method of getting there. It does sound like Vancouver is the preferable place to go about between the two, though. Thanks for your help.

Mar 6th, 2000, 05:35 PM
sheri

Shane, the commuter flight between Seattle and Vancouver takes under an hour and there are frequent flights. If it's a choice between not having first class seats on a plane for less than an hour and taking the bus, I know which *I* would choose!

Of course, you could always rent a car for a week and just park it in Vancouver, but since you have so little time, flying really seems the smartest way to go. Plus, the border crossing coming back into the US on Sunday afternoon will be long (count on at least an hour, probably longer).

Mar 7th, 2000, 12:19 PM
Rich

Priness has cruises leaving on Saturdays from Vancouver. Not sure how you booked the cruise, either have your travel agent do the following or call Princess direct and do the following: Book on their bus to Vancouver, get off at the pier and take a cab to a hotel that you or Princess has booked in Vancouver for the Saturday night. You should be in Vancouver by 5PM. Have the hotel store the luggage for you the next morning, see Vancouver and you have time to see Vanocuver. Going back to Seattle see if they have a bus leaving the ship and going to downtown Seattle and get on that one. Should be in Seattle by 1PM or so. Go to a hotel and store your luggage with the bellman and see the sites. You can catch a cab or the airporter bus(seperate charge) to the airport around 7:30pm and have enough time to make your flight out of Seattle. Drive time between Seattle airport and Vancouver is about 3.4 to 4 hours. Good Luck

Mar 7th, 2000, 04:31 PM
shane

Thanks. Unless I get another heretofore unknown brilliant plan, this looks to be a good one. Is it safe to assume you got a little ahead of yourself at the top of the message and actually meant Princess runs busses to Vancouver from Seattle on Saturdays? I hope so because my cruise is booked to leave on a Sunday. Sounds like a good idea. I'll check it out.