Cross-country Drive in October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thinking of finally making a cross-country roadtrip, starting in New England in early October. I thought of doing the northern states on the way west, then returning on the southern route. I was wondering when the mountain passes start to close out west. Is this too late to cross Montana and Idaho into Washington? I thought we'd stop at some national parks, some cities. One goal would be the Little Bighorn battle site. Appreciate any assistance!
Old May 26th, 2023, 08:17 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You shouldn't have any trouble westbound leaving in early October. Of course, it matters how long you plan to take for the drive (and the return.) If the Little Bighorn battlefield is a prime target, that means I-90 across Montana. You might have some freezing temperatures at night and in the early morning around the great divide (near Butte) and Lookout Pass into Idaho, but I-90 across the Cascades (Snoqualmie Pass) and other routes over the Cascades ought to be okay. Honestly, sad to say that forest fires and smoke might pose a higher risk than snow or ice.

I'd recommend I-90 across South Dakota rather than I-94 through North Dakota. Badlands National Park, and the Black Hills in the autumn, are not to be missed.

Where would the "turn-around" point be? Seattle? Portland? Someplace in California?
Old May 26th, 2023, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of the wildfire problem.

The turn-around point would be somewhere in California, though I know that's adding a lot of miles.
Old May 26th, 2023, 09:00 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I've driven coast-to-coast in as little as 4 1/2 days, but that was really rushing things with long days behind the wheel and no recreational stops to speak of. Obviously if you want to stop in Yellowstone or some such, more time will be needed.

If it was me and if there was time available, I'd probably head west on I-90 but divert down to the Wallowa mountains in northeastern Oregon - glorious in the autumn - then through the Columbia Gorge and Hood River Valley near Portland. I'd head down the southern Oregon coast and through the redwoods to San Francisco as the turn-around point. Something like this: https://goo.gl/maps/CHNdLJArTsrNXuk88

Heading back, you could either swing south through the red rocks, or use a more direct route along I-80, maybe detouring to see the Nebraska sandhills, a marvelous part of the old west not widely appreciated. Many options.
Old May 26th, 2023, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Black Hills are actually small mountains (7,242 feet is the highest point). There are lots of things to see and do there: Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Wind Cave National Park, Custer State Park (a state park of national park quality with bighorn sheep and bison) and Roughlock Falls Nature Area is located in Spearfish Canyon.Go view Bridal Veil Falls which is the easiest of the three waterfalls in Spearfish Canyon. East of the Black Hills is Badlands National Park. Custer State Park has Sylvan Lake, the jewel of the Black Hills. Iron Mt. Road (16-A) is an incredible 17-mile experience with 14 switchbacks, three pigtails and three tunnels. It starts at Hwy 16 and goes south to Hwy 30.

Then head over to Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP. The Yellowstone-Teton region may have more beautiful features than any other place in the Lower 48 except for Yosemite. Besides Old Faithful, the main attractions are the Lamar Valley which has roaming herds of bison and elk plus wolves feeding on them and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowston which has steep, deep canyon with waterfalls and hot springs. Then head back up to I-90 and then go west to Wye, Mont. and north from I-90 2.5 hours to Glacier National Park.
Old May 26th, 2023, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would drive through Michigan and over the top of Lake Michigan, if you want to maximize leaf color, and not take I-90 across South Dakota. You won’t see many crimson or purple colored leaves west of Minnesota.
Old May 27th, 2023, 03:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I visited Yellowstone for a week in the latter part of September and was able to get cabins with cancelled reservations every night but one in the morning at checkout for that night. The one night we camped it snowed and there were rumors that the northern route into the park would close before the end of the month. All this to say staying flexible is a good thing, for rooms that were unavailable until the day on the plus side and for weather that means you can't get there from here on the down side. Be ready to be spontaneous.

Old May 27th, 2023, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
https://yellowstoneinsider.com/2013-...closing-dates/

IMO, too many roads/things would be closed in Yellowstone. I'd visit on another trip.
Old May 28th, 2023, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. Gardyloo, that route looks pretty close to what I was hoping for.