Cross Country Drive

Mar 8th, 2000, 07:38 PM
Craig

Cross Country Drive

In July I will be embarking on a cross country drive for employment. I'm leaving from Va going to Ca. We plan to travel up to NY then thru the following: Ohio, Ill, Iowa, S.Dakota, Wyoming, Co, Arizona,and then Ca. Travellers are my wife and I and two 10 year olds, and two 15 year olds. I would like the trip to be as varied as possible. We plan to stay at B&B's, Hostels, Military Bases, Cabins, Dude Ranches, etc. Additionally we plan to stop at most of the national parks along the way. We found one working farm B&B in Penn where we may stay. If anyone has any great ideas or very nice places to stay along this route I would appreciate the assistance. Also we are on a moderate budget, so cost cutting tips would also be appreciated.

Mar 9th, 2000, 05:18 AM
John

Dear Craig:
Since you are starting with a northerly route, why are you dipping south into Arizona in July? It is going to be pretty darn hot! Who knows, you might even get thunderstorms in the Arizona desert.
Traveling across the California desert im July will also be a chore. Depending on how you cross, it could not only be hot (110-120 degrees F) but also very humid, since the fields and orchards in the Imperial and Coachella Valleys soak up a lot of irrigation water.
Do yourself and your family a favor and plan for a northern route to California. That way you can stop at Lake Tahoe, see the Sierras and, if you're heading for southern California, travel down the coast.

Mar 9th, 2000, 05:46 AM
Julie

You'll most likely be passing through Iowa on I-80. There's a little Danish community called Elk Horn which is only about 10 miles from the interstate (between Des Moines & Omaha). There is a lovely B&B there called Joy's Morning Glory owned & operated by Joy & Merle Petersen (very nice folks). I've stayed there once several years ago and enjoyed my stay very much. I do not know their current price structure, but I'm sure they're reasonable. There's a restaurant there -- the Danish Inn that has good food at very reasonable prices.

Mar 9th, 2000, 06:29 AM
Cal

What is your final destination in California? I would try to avoid the Arizona/California desert areas in July. It will be very hot. As John pointed out, you would be much wiser to take a northerly route through Utah, Reno, SF Bay Area and then south along 101 in California. I would suggest Hwy 1 for scenery but it is closed at this time due to washouts. It may still be closed in July. I would check on this.

Mar 9th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Samantha

Hi Craig - I don't have any advice on the "where to stay" issue, but I *do* want to stress the importance of one specific point - please have a cell phone and/or C.B. radio in the car and gallons of water/emergency supplies, especially if you're on I-80 west of Salt Lake City. I may be underestimating your "smarts", but I can't stress this point enough. Hubby and I made the cross country trip twice last year and there are long stretches between exits/towns/services on I-80. If a breakdown occurs, especially since you're travelling in the hottest part of the year - well, it's just better to be as prepared as can be. Safe trip!

Mar 9th, 2000, 01:09 PM
John

YES! Great advice!

Mar 9th, 2000, 03:50 PM
brian

Speaking from experience- I was stationed in the Mojave Desert for 3 years near Barstow, CA- the desert can be beautiful. BUT NOT IN JULY! You will think you drove straight to hell (120 degrees common). I back up the suggestion to take the northern CA route down the 101/PCH. Unless you have ties to the military, it will also be difficult to stay on posts/bases. Have a good trip.

Mar 9th, 2000, 06:41 PM
craig

As a matter of fact, I am active military PCSing. Given the responses I think I will take the northern "high roads". Any suggestions for the best route and attractions. Thanks for all the assistance

Mar 9th, 2000, 08:31 PM
Samantha

Hi again Craig - What part of CA will you be stationed in? If you do decide to take I-80 for most of the way into CA, I can tell you exactly the cities west of Salt Lake City to make sure you stop at, to fill up the gas tank. They're scattered out between from S.L.C. and Reno, NV. Also, once you're in CA, if your destination is San Francisco or north, I can let you know what interstates off of I-80 to take within the state to (hopefully!) be the least hassle.

Mar 10th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Craig

Thanks Samantha,
I will be stationed in Monterey. I have altered my route though. Look at the posting at 3/10/00 about 4:05

Search this Thread