Search

best way to get to san juan islands

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2023, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best way to get to san juan islands

Hi Everyone,
Would like some information as to the best way (most economical/least hassle) to get to the san juan islands from Newark, NJ airport July 2023. Should I fly into canada or seattle?
What is the best/easiest way to SJI from either? Would like to spend about 7-10 days between SJI, Orca and Lopez. Not adverse to renting a car.
I am led to believe that the ferries are unpredictable. Would it be better to take a seaplane and rent a car once I get to SJI? Can I take the car on the ferry from island to island?
What are the best areas in each of those islands to rent an Air B&B? Looking to do some hiking, biking, outdoorsy stuff.
Any advise/info. would be welcome.
Thank you in advance, fellow Fodorites. You have helped me plan my trips all over the world.

Last edited by traveling; May 2nd, 2023 at 06:34 PM. Reason: add dates
Old May 3rd, 2023, 07:39 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't overcomplicate things. Fly into Seattle, get a car, and drive to Anacortes (around two hours from the airport) to catch the ferry to the San Juan Islands. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/1WDeH5HD3u8L6z1Q7 . If you want to make a more enjoyable time of it, and don't mind catching either a later ferry from Anacortes or one the first thing the next morning, you can travel north via beautiful Whidbey Island, with stops in picturesque Langley and Coupeville, and/or Fort Casey or spectacular Deception Pass State Park(s.) Map - https://goo.gl/maps/AKgq6cd4DGyzMNbcA .

The ferry issues you reference appear mostly to be limited to the inter-island ferries, due to crew shortages. I have no idea (does anyone?) if things will improve between now and July, but for safety's sake I'd probably look at basing on one or two islands rather than three, just to avoid possibly having to make last-minute changes. For visitors, IMO San Juan Island offers more activities and a wider range of lodging options, but wherever you choose, getting something booked right now is crucial. We have family on Lopez and it's my personal fave island, but mainly because of its slow pace and very rural atmosphere. I don't know that it's for everyone for an extended stay.

I'm going to throw another thought out there, since it sounds like you haven't pinned things down firmly. Maybe the idea is DOA, but no cost in thinking about it.

The Southern Gulf Islands in British Columbia (sometimes called the "Canadian San Juans") are not especially well known outside of Canada, but you might want to have a look at them as possible substitutes for the San Juans. They're served by ferries from the mainland, specifically the Tsawwassen BC Ferries terminal roughly half an hour south of YVR airport, but also from Vancouver Island, specifically from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal, around a 15 minute drive from Victoria's airport (YYJ.) Here's a map - https://goo.gl/maps/pmw5esN5aUh9QdsX8

The reasons I'd look at the Gulf Islands as well as the San Juans are basically that they tend to be a little cheaper (sometimes a lot cheaper) in terms of lodging expense, they're fully as beautiful as the San Juans, and the island I'd recommend - Salt Spring Island - is big enough to offer sufficient activities and variety to occupy your time without needing to shuttle to other islands (while of course you could.)

Airfare from EWR to Victoria is around $100 more than to Seattle, but you'd probably save that in lodging expense and you'd certainly have more hours of visiting time at your disposal. The favo(u)rable exchange rate would probably also help. And of course you could also spend time in Victoria or elsewhere on Vancouver Island as part of the deal. Just a thought, anyway.

Old May 4th, 2023, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestion of the gulf islands. I will look into it. We have been to Viktorya/Vancouver/Victoria island but would it be too much to do the Gulf Islands and San Juan Island in seven days?
Old May 5th, 2023, 07:06 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by traveling
...but would it be too much to do the Gulf Islands and San Juan Island in seven days?
I think so. Previously the Washington State Ferry operated a route from Friday Harbor on San Juan Island to Sidney, BC on Vancouver Island, which is a short distance from the BC Ferries' main terminal as Swartz Bay, from which you can get to the southern Gulf Islands. Unfortunately that Friday Harbor - Sidney route was suspended during Covid and no plans to reopen it have been announced. So for the time being you'd have to return to Anacortes from San Juan Island, then drive overland to the mainland BC Ferries terminal at Tsawwassen in order to get to the Gulf Islands. That would take a couple of hours not counting any border delays, and also not counting the ferry trips themselves, so in essence probably something like 6 or 7 hours total, i.e. most of a day. I think going with one set of the islands or the other is probably wisest.
Old Jun 16th, 2023, 11:58 PM

We are Seattle locals and go to the San Juan Islands every summer. I highly recommend flying to Seattle vs. Canada,
in fact, we are in the San Juan islands now. Was concerned after hearing about the ferry cancellations but we didn’t have any ferry issues. You should make ferry reservations once you know which island you are visiting and have dates. We split our time with going to San Juan first and then Orcas Island. It takes us 2 hours to drive from Downton Seattle area to get to Anacortes ferry landing. You should figure another 30-45 min. (traffic) if driving directly from the airport. Depending on when your flight arrives you will have to consider timing issues. There is a small charge if you miss the scheduled ferry reservations. One of the locals also mentioned to me you can sign up for the Washington State Ferry Alerts.

You can take a car on the ferry to San Juan islands and on the inter island ferries. You won’t need to make advance reservations for the inter island ferry. We took the 11:35 ferry from San Juan Island to Orcas Island, No delays. The ferry stopped at Shaw island and then Orcas.

We have stayed at rentals in years past but favor the Roche Harbor Resort on San Juan island and Landmark Inn condos in Eastsound on Orcas.

Both islands are beautiful. Lopez is nice but smaller and with the issues of staffing the inner island ferries I would recommend visiting two, I plan to post a trip report later and will note our favorite hikes and restaurants.

We also have been to the Gulf Islands and they are similar the San Juan Islands but further. Good luck with your planning.
Old Jun 18th, 2023, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you portobelloB for your informative reply. Looking forward to your trip report. We are thinking that since the airfares this year are so prohibitive, we will probably put this off for another time. It is on the bucket list, though, and we will definitely visit in the future.
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 09:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd fly in and out of SeaTac and rent a car right there for the duration of your trip.
suze, in seattle
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 03:39 PM

Thank you for this up to date (2023) post

Originally Posted by portobelloB
We are Seattle locals and go to the San Juan Islands every summer. I highly recommend flying to Seattle vs. Canada,
in fact, we are in the San Juan islands now. Was concerned after hearing about the ferry cancellations but we didn’t have any ferry issues. You should make ferry reservations once you know which island you are visiting and have dates. We split our time with going to San Juan first and then Orcas Island. It takes us 2 hours to drive from Downton Seattle area to get to Anacortes ferry landing. You should figure another 30-45 min. (traffic) if driving directly from the airport. Depending on when your flight arrives you will have to consider timing issues. There is a small charge if you miss the scheduled ferry reservations. One of the locals also mentioned to me you can sign up for the Washington State Ferry Alerts.

You can take a car on the ferry to San Juan islands and on the inter island ferries. You won’t need to make advance reservations for the inter island ferry. We took the 11:35 ferry from San Juan Island to Orcas Island, No delays. The ferry stopped at Shaw island and then Orcas.

We have stayed at rentals in years past but favor the Roche Harbor Resort on San Juan island and Landmark Inn condos in Eastsound on Orcas.

Both islands are beautiful. Lopez is nice but smaller and with the issues of staffing the inner island ferries I would recommend visiting two, I plan to post a trip report later and will note our favorite hikes and restaurants.

We also have been to the Gulf Islands and they are similar the San Juan Islands but further. Good luck with your planning.

Thank you for posting this. Very interested in the hiking and restaurants you suggest. We hope to rent bikes as well, for Sept or Oct 2023.