San Juan Islands--Best Way to Get There

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to the San Juan Islands in August for a family reunion. A small group of us will be flying into Seatec from the Bay Area. What is the best way to get to the San Juan Islands? Is it best to rent a car? (we will not need it during our stay on the island as others will have cars) Take a shuttle? Rent a limo? This is our first trip to the San Juan Islands. Thank you!!
Old May 4th, 2003, 06:57 PM

Most people drive to Anacortes about 80 miles north of SeaTac. You can drive on the ferry or park at the landing for a not too expensive ($5 bucks?) daily fee and walk on. See ferry info at www.wsdot.wa.gov. OR you could take the Victoria Clipper, a passenger catamaran vessel from the Seattle waterfront to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. Clipper would be the most fun and interesting of the various options. See www.victoriaclipper.com. This would require a taxi ride from SeaTac to Downtown Seattle. Finally, there is an airport shuttle service that goes to the ferry terminal. See www.airporter.com. Any of those should work. The islands are fabulous in August. Hope you see Orcas. Saw a pod from the ferry last trip.
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!!!!
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:02 PM

I have a house there so often so to SJ.
The best way from Seattle is to fly IMO.
I often do and the best company to use for that is San Juan Airlines (formerly known as Northwest Seaplanes). They have the most flights. Connect via van to Seatac airport. I'm flying on them again this week. They have a web site and schedule at http://www.sanjuanairlines.com/
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:06 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
And if you're not staying on San Juan Island, try Kenmore Air on Lake Union (also float planes) for service to Orcas and Lopez as well as San Juan. Fabulous way to get there. They also have van service from Seatac. http://www.kenmoreair.com/sanjuan-fw.htm
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!! I will check out these websites!!!
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:18 PM
R

I have to put a vote in for the regular ferry system from Anacortes. There's nothing like "slowing down" a bit, before reaching the islands. And the route they take, as they ply their way through all the islands, is just stunning! I did a family reunion there & brought the whole family there via the ferries & they loved it! (and this was with many Type A personalities along for the 'ride' too, I'll have you know!) ;-) It helps put you into the proper frame of mind....the slower pace, as you gently push away from land & head off on your adventure. 'Course others here will say, the lines for ferries can take all of that away. However, if you just avoid the big traffic times & days, we've never had a problem & do it regularly. Good luck to you, as you plan your reunion in such a gorgeous spot!